Deaths in 2021
List page for Notable people who have died in 2021
The following deaths of notable individuals occurred in 2021. Names are reported under the date of death, in alphabetical order by surname or pseudonym. A typical entry reports information in the following sequence:
- Name, age, country of citizenship at birth, subsequent nationality (if applicable), what subject was noted for, cause of death (if known), and reference.
Overview of "Nationality" article
- Ahmed Achour, 75, Tunisian composer and conductor.
- Beatriz Barba, 92, Mexican archaeologist, member of the Mexican Academy of Sciences.
- John Chaney, 89, American Hall of Fame college basketball coach (Cheyney State Wolves, Temple Owls).
- Yvon Douis, 85, French footballer (Lille, Monaco, national team), COVID-19.
- Roberto Fernando Frojuelo, 83, Brazilian footballer (São Paulo, River Plate, Colo-Colo).
- Grady Gaines, 86, American blues saxophonist.
- Lai Xiaomin, 58, Chinese businessman and convicted embezzler, Chairman of China Huarong Asset Management (2012–2018), execution.
- Ica Naga , 59, Indonesian comedian, cardiac arrest.
- Tochinoumi Teruyoshi, 82, Japanese sumo wrestler, aspiration pneumonia.
- Hilton Valentine, 77, English Hall of Fame guitarist (The Animals).
Deaths in 2021 articles: 22
- Abu Yasser al-Issawi, 39, Iraqi Islamic militant (ISIL), military strike.
- Wismoyo Arismunandar, 80, Indonesian military officer, Army Chief of Staff (1993–1995).
- Chedly Ayari, 87, Tunisian economist and politician, President of the Central Bank (2012–2018), Minister of Finance (1972–1974) and Education (1970–1971), COVID-19.
- Eddie Connachan, 85, Scottish footballer (Dunfermline Athletic, Middlesbrough, national team).
- Paul J. Crutzen, 87, Dutch atmospheric chemist, Nobel laureate (1995).
- Cédric Demangeot, 46, French poet.
- Guillermo GaleoteDeputy (1977–1993), COVID-19. , 79, Spanish doctor and politician,
- Kathleen Ann Goonan, 68, American science fiction author.
- Shaibal Gupta, 67, Indian social scientist, multiple organ failure.
- Gil Imaná, 87, Bolivian muralist and painter.
- César Isella, 82, Argentine singer-songwriter (Los Fronterizos), coronary disease.
- Dominic Jeeva, 93, Sri Lankan author.
- Efim Josanu, 73, Moldovan writer and journalist, president of the National Olympic Committee (1991–2001).
- Mangalamkunnu Karnan, 60, Indian elephant, cardiac arrest.
- Ryszard Kotys, 88, Polish actor (Operacja Himmler, Shivers, Świat według Kiepskich).
- Sibongile Khumalo, 63, South African singer.
- Annette Kullenberg, 82, Swedish journalist (Aftonbladet) and author, COVID-19.
- Vasily Lanovoy, 87, Russian actor (Colleagues, Going Inside a Storm, Officers), People's Artist of the USSR (1985).
- Juan del Río Martín, 73, Spanish Roman Catholic prelate, Military Archbishop of Spain (since 2008) and Bishop of Asidonia-Jerez (2000–2008), COVID-19.
- Alice Recoque, 91, French computer scientist.
- Singing Sandra, 64, Trinidadian calypso singer.
- Krishan Dev Sethi, 93, Indian politician and independence activist, member of the Constituent Assembly of Jammu and Kashmir (1951–1957).
- Cicely Tyson, 96, American Hall of Fame actress (Sounder, The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman, The Trip to Bountiful), Tony winner (2013).
- Lewis Wolpert, 91, South African-born British developmental biologist, COVID-19.
Deaths in 2021 articles: 54
- Eduard Ababei, 52, Moldovan judge.
- Flavio Alfaro, 59, American baseball player, Olympic silver medalist (1984), pancreatic cancer.
- Bertulfo Álvarez, 69, Colombian guerrilla fighter (Caribbean Bloc of the FARC-EP).
- Gert Blomé, 86, Swedish ice hockey player, Olympic silver medallist (1964).
- Blas Camacho, 81, Spanish lawyer and politician, Deputy (1977–1982, 1986–1993), COVID-19.
- Adrián Campos, 60, Spanish racing driver (Formula One) and team owner (Campos Racing).
- Héctor Fix-Zamudio, 96, Mexican jurist, Judge of the Inter-American Court of Human Rights (1987–1997).
- Freddy, 8, English Great Dane, world's tallest dog.
- Goddess Bunny, 61, American drag queen and actress (Hollywood Vice Squad, The Goddess Bunny, Rage).
- Guy Emmanuel Alain Gauze, 68, Ivorian politician and diplomat, Ambassador to the European Union (2000–2002).
- Yuriy LakhinAntikiller, Tins, Vysotsky. Thank You For Being Alive), complications from COVID-19. , 68, Russian actor (
- Cloris Leachman, 94, American Hall of Fame actress (The Mary Tyler Moore Show, The Last Picture Show, Young Frankenstein), Oscar winner (1971).
- Corky Lee, 73, American photojournalist, complications from COVID-19.
- Saini Lemamea, 56, Samoan rugby union player (national team). (death announced on this date)
- Mehrdad Minavand, 45, Iranian football player (Pas, Persepolis, national team) and manager, COVID-19.
- Aminuddin Ponulele, 81, Indonesian academician and politician, Governor of Central Sulawesi (2001–2006).
- Antoni Puigdellívol, 74, Andorran politician, mayor of Andorra la Vella (1978–1979), MP (1982–1985) and Minister of Tourism and Environment (2005–2007).
- Efraín Ruales, 36, Ecuadorian actor, musician and TV presenter, shot.
- Trung Kiên, 81, Vietnamese classical singer.
- Carmen Vázquez, 72, American LGBT activist and writer, complications from COVID-19.
Deaths in 2021 articles: 43
- Georgi Ananiev, 70, Bulgarian politician, COVID-19.
- Alan Ashcroft, 90, English rugby union player (Waterloo, British and Irish Lions, national team).
- Harry Beal, 90, American veteran, first Navy SEAL.
- Winfried Bölke, 79, German racing cyclist.
- Yabing Masalon Dulo, 106, Filipino textile weaver and dyer.
- Margitta Gummel, 79, German shot putter, Olympic champion (1968).
- Richard Holzer, 97, Panamanian architect.
- Nurul Huq, 85, Bangladeshi naval officer, Chief of Naval Staff (1972–1973), complications from diabetes.
- Ron Johnson, 64, American baseball player (Kansas City Royals, Montreal Expos) and manager (Norfolk Tides), complications from COVID-19.
- Billy Kenoi, 52, American politician, mayor of Hawaii County (2008–2016), myelofibrosis.
- Mwafak Al-Khani , 99, Syrian journalist and TV presenter.
- Hana Maciuchová, 75, Czech actress (Prázdniny pro psa, In the Coat of Lioness' Arms, Loners).
- Luc Julian Matthys, 85, Belgian-born Australian Roman Catholic prelate, Bishop of Armidale (1999–2011).
- Gene McDowell, 80, American football player (Florida State Seminoles) and coach (UCF Knights), leukemia.
- John Mortimore, 86, English football player (Chelsea) and manager (Benfica, Belenenses).
- Lars Norén, 76, Swedish playwright, novelist and poet, COVID-19.
- Cara O'Sullivan, 59, Irish coloratura soprano singer.
- Daniel Pedraza Castillo, 17, Colombian racing cyclist, traffic collision.
- Sergei Prikhodko, 64, Russian politician, Deputy Prime Minister (2013–2018), complications from amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.
- Sekou Smith, 48, American sportswriter and journalist (The Indianapolis Star, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, NBA TV), COVID-19.
- Peter Thorburn, 81, New Zealand rugby union player (Auckland) and coach (North Harbour, US national team).
- Carlos Holmes Trujillo, 69, Colombian politician and diplomat, Minister of Defense (since 2019), of Foreign Affairs (2018–2019) and of the Interior (1997–1998), COVID-19.
- Jozef Vengloš, 84, Slovak football player (Slovan Bratislava) and manager (Celtic, Czechoslovakia national team).
- Peter Vere-Jones, 81, British-born New Zealand actor (The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug, Shortland Street, Xena: Warrior Princess).
Deaths in 2021 articles: 57
- Ihwan Datu Adam, 56, Indonesian politician, MP (2016–2019).
- Sōichi Aikawa, 78, Japanese politician, mayor of Urawa, Saitama (1991–2001) and Saitama (2001–2009), respiratory failure.
- Big Drama, 15, American racehorse, euthanized. (death announced on this date)
- Chico Borja, 61, Ecuadorian-American soccer player (New York Cosmos, Wichita Wings, U.S. national team) and manager, colon cancer.
- David Bright, 64, Botswanan football manager (Mogoditshane Fighters, Cape Town, national team), complications from COVID-19.
- Tseng Chang, 90, Chinese actor (Apartment for Ladies, Lunch with Charles, 2012).
- Jaoid Chiguer, 35, French Olympic boxer (2008), heart attack.
- Marie Harmon, 97, American actress (The El Paso Kid, Secret Beyond the Door, I Married a Woman).
- Iron, 29, South Korean rapper (Show Me the Money 3), blunt force trauma.
- Masada Iosefa, 32, Samoan rugby league player (Penrith Panthers, Wests Tigers, national team), traffic collision.
- Avelino Méndez Rangel, 62, Mexican politician, Deputy (2009–2012), COVID-19.
- C. R. Parthiban, 92, Indian actor (Veerapandiya Kattabomman).
- Jean Richard, 99, French historian.
- Dick Smith, 94, American baseball player (Pittsburgh Pirates).
- Vladimír Suchánek, 87, Czech artist.
- Maryan Synakowski, 84, French footballer (Sedan, Union SG, national team).
- Enrique Tábara, 90, Ecuadorian painter, heart attack.
- David Washbrook, 71, British historian.
Deaths in 2021 articles: 43
- George Armstrong, 90, Canadian Hall of Fame ice hockey player (Toronto Maple Leafs), Stanley Cup champion (1962–1964, 1967).
- Debbie Bath-Hadden, 61–62, Canadian politician, mayor of Brock, Ontario (since 2018), cancer.
- Arik Brauer, 92, Austrian artist, co-founder of the Vienna School of Fantastic Realism.
- Jevrem Brković, 87, Montenegrin writer, poet, and historian.
- Roberto Cañas LópezChapultepec Peace Accords. , 70, Salvadoran politician, guerrilla and academic, signant of
- Nikolay Chebotko, 38, Kazakh Olympic cross country skier (2002, 2006, 2010, 2014), traffic collision.
- António Cardoso e Cunha, 87, Portuguese politician, European Commissioner (1986–1992).
- Muhanna Al-Dura, 83, Jordanian painter.
- Jóhannes Eðvaldsson, 70, Icelandic footballer (Celtic, Motherwell, national team), complications from COVID-19.
- Sonny Fox, 95, American television host (Wonderama, Way Out Games), COVID-19.
- John F. Grundhofer, 82, American banker and executive, chairman of U.S. Bancorp (1990–1997, 1999–2002).
- Abdullahi Ibrahim, 82, Nigerian lawyer and politician, Minister of Justice (1997–1999), COVID-19.
- Jerry Johnson, 102, American college basketball coach (LeMoyne–Owen Magicians).
- Abla Al-Kahlawi , 72, Egyptian preacher, Laws academic and social worker, COVID-19.
- Bruce Kirby, 95, American actor (L.A. Law, Stand by Me, Crash).
- Franciszek Kokot, 91, Polish nephrologist and endocrinologist, rector of Medical Academy of Silesia (1982–1984), complications from COVID-19.
- Barry Le Va, 79, American sculptor and installation artist.
- Gunnel Lindblom, 89, Swedish actress (The Silence, Winter Light, The Virgin Spring).
- Sigvard Marjasin, 91, Swedish civil servant, president of the Swedish Municipal Workers' Union (1977–1988), Governor of Örebro County (1989–1994), COVID-19.
- Jeanette Maus, 39, American actress (My Effortless Brilliance, The Immaculate Conception of Little Dizzle) and acting coach, colon cancer.
- Bobby McKee, Northern Irish politician, mayor of Larne (2002–2004, 2011–2012).
- Jean-Pierre Michel, 82, French politician, MP (1981–1986, 1988–2002, 2004–2014).
- Barrie Mitchell, 73, Scottish footballer (Dunfermline Athletic, Aberdeen, Tranmere Rovers).
- Moshe Moskowitz, 96, Israeli politician, head of Shafir Regional Council (1952–1979).
- Bootsie Neal, 68, American politician.
- Patrick O'Donoghue, 86, Irish Roman Catholic prelate, Bishop of Lancaster (2001–2009).
- Ron Rafferty, 86, English footballer (Grimsby Town, Aldershot, Portsmouth).
- Manuel Rodríguez Lema, 68, Spanish businessman, COVID-19.
- Frank Shankwitz, 77, American philanthropist, co-founder of the Make-A-Wish Foundation. (death announced on this date)
- Joseph Sonnabend, 88, South African physician and HIV/AIDS researcher (How to Have Sex in an Epidemic), complications from a heart attack.
- Tom Stevens, 64, American musician (The Long Ryders).
- Marcel Uderzo, 87, French comic book artist, COVID-19.
- Sifis Valirakis, 77, Greek politician and anti-junta activist, Minister of Public Order (1995–1996), drowned.
- Notable Brazilians who died in the 2021 Palmas FR plane crash: