This page has 14 definitions of defensive in English, German, and Latin. Defensive is an adjective and noun. Examples of how to use defensive in a sentence are shown. Also define these 22 related words and terms: defence, protective, attack, risk, inordinate, sensitivity, criticism, intrusion, oversensitive, thin-skinned, cricket, bowling, fielding, tactic, batting, sports, defense, means, attitude, position, defensiv, and defensivus.
- Intended for defence; protective.
- a defensive perimeter
- Intended to deter attack.
- a defensive missile system
- Performed so as to minimise risk.
- defensive driving
- Displaying an inordinate sensitivity to criticism or intrusion; oversensitive; thin-skinned.
- (cricket) Of a bowling or fielding tactic designed to prevent the other side from scoring runs; of a batting tactic designed to prevent being out.
Cricket definition(1 of 5 cricket definitions)
- (chiefly sports) Pertaining to defense, as opposed to attack.
- The victim held up his hand to repel the attacker and received a defensive knife wound.
- 2011 September 2, Phil McNulty, “Bulgaria 0-3 England”, in BBC:
- The Italian opted for Bolton's Cahill alongside captain John Terry - and his decision was rewarded with a goal after only 13 minutes. Bulgaria gave a hint of defensive frailties to come when they failed to clear Young's corner, and when Gareth Barry found Cahill in the box he applied the finish past Nikolay Mihaylov.
Sports definitionplural of
- In a state or posture of defense.
- 1671, John Milton, “Samson Agonistes, […]”, in Paradise Regain’d. A Poem. In IV Books. To which is Added, Samson Agonistes, London: […] J. M[acock] for John Starkey […], OCLC 228732398, lines 48–49, pages 63–64:
- […] Once join'd, the contrary ſhe proves, a thorn
Inteſtin, far within defenſive arms […]
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Dictionary:Entry layout § Translations.
defensive (plural defensives)
- A means, attitude or position of defense.
- 2007 May 26, Julia Werdigier, “Consolidating the Banks of Europe”, in New York Times:
- Such kinds of defensives are really rather protecting the local companies than the consumers.
Means definitionplural of
- inflection of
- strong/mixed nominative/accusative feminine singular
- strong nominative/accusative plural
- weak nominative all-gender singular
- weak accusative feminine/neuter singular