This page has 3 definitions of written in English. Written is an adjective and verb. Examples of how to use written in a sentence are shown. Also define these 0 related words and terms: .
- IPA(key): /ˈɹɪ.tən/, [ɹɪʔt̚n̩], [ɹɪʔn̩], (with t-flapping) [ɹɪɾn̩]
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -ɪtən
- Hyphenation: writ‧ten
- Homophone: ridden (with t-flapping)
written (not comparable)
- Of, relating, or characteristic of writing (i.e., of that which has been written).
- Having been written.
- Antonym: unwritten
- I can speak Japanese fairly well, but I have no understanding whatsoever of written Japanese.
- 1978, Jacques Derrida with Alan Bass, Writing and Difference, page 62:
- It is more written than said
- 1991, Jay Clayton with Eric Rothstein, Influence and Intertextuality in Literary History, page 109:
- ... although certainly more written than oral, are radically implicated in orality because of their performative nature and susceptibility to "mouvance"
- 1994, Marvin L. Kalb, The Nixon Memo: Political Respectability, Russia, and the Press, page 68:
- Strmecki reworked the draft, making it seem "more written than spoken."
- 1996, Richard M. Swiderski, The Metamorphosis of English: Versions of Other Languages, page 83:
- The Chinese is more written than the English in that the writing is more removed from speech than the phonetic English.
- 1998, Ilana Snyder with Michael Joyce, Page to Screen: Taking Literacy Into the Electronic Era, page 96:
- Yates concludes that in terms of lexical density, 'CMC users package information in text in ways that are more written than speech-like'
- 1998, Charles Bernstein, Close Listening: Poetry and the Performed Word, page 211:
- printed in caps to suggest that the whole performance be thought of as one gigantic sentence. If Silliman's talk is more written than spoken, ...
- 2003, Roger Ebert, Roger Ebert's Movie Yearbook 2004, page 71:
- Even insults, when they are traded, seem more written than felt.
- could be written on the back of a postage stamp
- have one's name written all over
- history is written by the victors
- written all over it
- written all over someone's face
- written in someone's face
- written in the stars
- written out
- written statement of employment
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables. See instructions at Dictionary:Entry layout § Translations.
- past participle of
- Has your girlfriend written you a letter yet?
- 2013 September-October, Henry Petroski, “The Evolution of Eyeglasses”, in American Scientist:
- The ability of a segment of a glass sphere to magnify whatever is placed before it was known around the year 1000, when the spherical segment was called a reading stone, […] . Scribes, illuminators, and scholars held such stones directly over manuscript pages as an aid in seeing what was being written, drawn, or read.