From withdraw + -al.
withdrawal (countable and uncountable, plural withdrawals)
- Receiving from someone's care what one has earlier entrusted to them. Usually refers to money.
1973, American jurisprudence: a modern comprehensive text statement of American Law, State and Federal, Volume 69, page 852:
In view of the second aspect of its control function, the Federal Reserve Board prohibits, with specified limited exceptions, the wisthdrawal of securities from general accounts where such withdrawals would undermargin such accounts.
- A method of birth control which consists of removing the penis from the vagina before ejaculation.
- A type of metabolic shock the body undergoes when a substance, usually a toxin such as heroin, to which a patient is dependent is withheld. Sometimes used with the substance as modifier.
- heroin withdrawal
- nicotine withdrawal
- caffeine withdrawal
- An act of withdrawing or a state of being withdrawn.
- The sum of money taken from a bank account.
- (receiving from someone's care): deposit
receiving from someone's care what one has earlier entrusted to them
act of withdrawing
- Arabic: اِنْسِحَاب m (insiḥāb)
- Armenian: please add this translation if you can
- Belarusian: вы́вад (be) m (vývad), зня́цце n (znjáccje) (from a bank)
- Bulgarian: отте́гляне (bg) n (ottégljane), отстъпле́ние (bg) n (otstǎplénie)
- Catalan: retirada (ca) f
- Mandarin: 提款 (zh) (tíkuǎn) (from a bank), 撤退 (zh) (chètuì) (retreat)
- Danish: tilbagetrækning c
- Dutch: terugtrekking (nl) f
- Esperanto: retiriĝo
- Finnish: vetäytyminen (fi), vieroitus (fi)
- French: retrait (fr) m
- Georgian: please add this translation if you can
- German: Entzug (de) m, Rückzug (de) m, Zurücknahme f
- Greek: απόσυρση (el) f (apósyrsi), αποχώρηση (el) f (apochórisi)
- Hungarian: (each with different objects) kivonás (hu), bevonás (hu), megvonás, visszavonás (hu), visszavétel (hu), (reflexively) visszavonulás (hu), visszahúzódás (hu), visszalépés (hu), elállás
- Irish: aistarraingt f
- Japanese: 引き出し (ja) (ひきだし, hikidashi)
the sum of money taken from a bank account
- Maori: moni tango
- Bokmål: uttak n
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Dictionary:Entry layout § Translations.
Translations to be checked