This page has two definitions of warrior in English. Warrior is a noun. Also define these 9 related words and terms: battle, conflict, warfare, soldier, combatant, aggressively, courageously, energetically, and athletics.
- warriour (obsolete)
From Middle English werreour, from Anglo-Norman guerreier, Old French guerroiier (“fighter, combattant”), from Medieval Latin werra, from Frankish *werru (“confusion; quarrel”), from Proto-Indo-European *wers- (“to mix up, confuse, beat, thresh”). Displaced native Old English cempa.
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈwɔɹiɚ/, /ˈwɔɹjɚ/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈwɒɹɪə/
- (NYC) IPA(key): /ˈwɑɹiə(ɹ)/, /ˈwɑɹjə(ɹ)/
- Hyphenation: war‧ri‧or
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -ɒɹiə(ɹ)
warrior (plural warriors)
- A person who is actively engaged in battle, conflict or warfare; a soldier or combatant.
- 1879, R[ichard] J[efferies], chapter II, in The Amateur Poacher, London: Smith, Elder, & Co., […], OCLC 752825175:
- Orion hit a rabbit once; but though sore wounded it got to the bury, and, struggling in, the arrow caught the side of the hole and was drawn out. […]. Ikey the blacksmith had forged us a spearhead after a sketch from a picture of a Greek warrior; and a rake-handle served as a shaft.
- (figuratively) A person who is aggressively, courageously, or energetically involved in an activity, such as athletics.
Aggressively definitionIn an aggressive manner.
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables. See instructions at Dictionary:Entry layout § Translations.