From training (“relating to the moving of a firearm laterally so that it points in a different direction; relating to imparting and acquiring skills”) + wheel.
training wheel (plural training wheels)
- (military, historical) A wheel forming part of the machinery of a cannon or a similar firearm which is turned to train or aim the weapon at a target.
- (rail transport, archaic) Synonym of trailing wheel (“on a steam locomotive, an unpowered wheel or axle located behind the driving wheels”)
- (chiefly Canada, US and in the plural, cycling) One of a pair of small wheels, each attached to one side of a bicycle's rear wheel to provide support for new riders.
- Synonyms: stabiliser, stabilizer
- training wheels (“anything designed to make something easier for a novice”)
wheel forming part of the machinery of a cannon or a similar firearm which is turned to train or aim the weapon at a target
- Finnish: tähtäyskoneiston pyörä
- Spanish: please add this translation if you can
one of a pair of small wheels, each attached to one side of a bicycle’s rear wheel to provide support for new riders — See also translations at stabilizer
- Arabic: please add this translation if you can
- Danish: støttehjul (da) n pl
- Mandarin: 輔助輪, 辅助轮 (fǔzhùlún)
- Finnish: apupyörä (fi)
- French: petite roue f, roulette (fr) f, stabilisateur (fr) m
- German: Stützrad (de) n
- Hebrew: גלגלי עזר m pl (galgaléj ʕézer)
- Hungarian: kitámasztó pótkerék, támasztókerék, segédkerék
- Japanese: 補助輪 (ほじょりん, hojorin)
- Macedonian: по́мошни тр́кала n pl (pómošni tŕkala)
- Norwegian: støttehjul n
- Polish: boczne kółko n (literally “side wheel”)
- Portuguese: rodinha f
- Russian: трениро́вочное колесо́ n (treniróvočnoje kolesó)
- Spanish: llanta de entrenamiento f (Mexico), ruedine ? (Spain), ruedita (es) f (Argentina)
- Swedish: stödhjul (sv) n
- Turkish: eğitim tekerlekleri
- ^ “training wheel, n.”, in OED Online
, Oxford, Oxfordshire: Oxford University Press, March 2022; “training wheel, n.”, in Lexico, Dictionary.com; Oxford University Press, 2019–2022.
- ^ “training wheels, n.”, in Lexico, Dictionary.com; Oxford University Press, 2019–2022.