- 1 English
- 2 Finnish
- 3 Lombard
- 4 Occitan
- 5 Swedish
This page has 9 definitions of television with English translations in 5 languages. Television is a noun and verb. Examples of how to use television in a sentence are shown. Also define these 0 related words and terms: .
English television definition
- IPA(key): /ˈtɛlɪˌvɪʒən/, /ˈtɛləˌvɪʒən/, /ˌtɛlɪˈvɪʒən/, /ˌtɛləˈvɪʒən/
Audio (UK) (file) Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -ɪʒən
- (uncountable) An electronic communication medium that allows the transmission of real-time visual images, and often sound.
- It’s a good thing that television doesn’t transmit smell.
- (countable) A device for receiving television signals and displaying them in visual form.
- I have an old television in the study.
- (uncountable) Collectively, the programs broadcast via the medium of television.
- fifty-seven channels and nothing on television
- (uncountable) Vision at a distance.
- 1929, Josephine Tey, The Man in the Queue:
- Half an hour with the manager of Faith Brothers had had the effect of studding the sergeant's habitual simplicity of words and phrases with amazing jewels of technicality. He talked gladly of "lines" and "repeats" and similar profundities, so that Grant had, through his bulk, in a queer television a vivid picture of the manager himself.
- 1943, Elizabeth Hazelton Haight, Essays on the Greek Romances, Longmans, Green and Co., page 165:
- the magic mirror … which furnished him television of his family and country
- → Japanese: テレビジョン (terebijon)
- → Korean: 텔레비전 (tellebijeon)
- → Maltese: televixin
- → Swahili: televisheni
- → Urdu: ٹیلی ویژن (telī vīźan)
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Dictionary:Entry layout § Translations.
Finnish television definition
Lombard television definition
Occitan television definition
television f (plural televisions)
Swedish television definition
|Declension of television|