This page has 7 definitions of sports with English translations in 4 languages. Sports is a noun and verb. Examples of how to use sports in a sentence are shown. Also define these 5 related words and terms: sport, participate, activity, passionate, and spörja.
- (General American) IPA(key): /spɔɹts/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /spɔːts/
- (rhotic, without the horse–hoarse merger) IPA(key): /spo(ː)ɹts/
- (non-rhotic, without the horse–hoarse merger) IPA(key): /spoəts/
- Rhymes: -ɔː(ɹ)ts
- plural of
- Third-person singular simple present indicative form of sport
- To participate in sports; typically used by a person with little interest in the subject to derisively elide details of the activity in question.
- 1981, Broadcasting, Broadcasting Publications, page 84:
- But I have a feeling that in many senses the American consumer is getting over-sportsed.
- 2011, Sean Ahern, What It Tastes Like to Be Sane, self-published through Lulu.com, page 140:
- And so sports they did! They put on their very own athletic shorts and jerseys and headed down to the field. There, they met other people similarly attired, who also desired to sports with them. And so they sportsed.
- plural of
sports m (1st declension)
- sport, sports
- nodarboties ar sportu ― to occupy oneself with, to practice sports
- sporta veidi ― (types of) sports
- sporta būve / sporta bāze ― gymnasium, sports facility
- sporta skola ― sports school
- sporta medicīna ― sports medicine
- sporta meistars ― sports master
- cīņas sports ― martial arts (lit. fighting sports)
- slēpošana ir patīkams sports ― skiing is an enjoyable sport
- activity about which one is passionate
- sēņošana viņam ir sports ― mushroom picking is a sport to him