This page has two definitions of softly in English. Softly is an adverb. Examples of how to use softly in a sentence are shown. Also define these 0 related words and terms: .
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈsɔftli/
- (cot–caught merger, Canada) IPA(key): /ˈsɑftli/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈsɒftli/
Audio (US) (file)
- In a soft manner; gently.
- The masseuse was rubbing my back too softly for my liking, so I asked her to go harder.
- 1861, Anthony Trollope, Framley Parsonage
- He had married a lady well educated and softly nurtured, but not dowered with worldly wealth. […] They would give up ideas of gentle living, of soft raiment, and delicate feeding.
- Not loudly; nearly inaudibly.
- whisper softly in someone's ear
- play music softly