- 1 English
- 2 French
- 3 Polish
- 4 Romanian
This page has 20 definitions of relief with English translations in 4 languages. Relief is a noun and adjective. Examples of how to use relief in a sentence are shown. Also define these 38 related words and terms: stress, discomfort, associate, shift, aid, assistance, law, compensation, protection, redress, lowering, tax, provision, tax relief, fine, composition, heir, tenant, death, ancestor, sculpture, artwork, protrude, light, color, elevation, heraldry, charge, field, shading, sinister, letterpress, projection, geography, mineralogy, contrast, definition, and offset.
- The removal of stress or discomfort.
- I sighed with relief when I found out that my daughter hadn't got lost, but was waiting for me at home.
Stress definitionA physical, chemical, infective agent aggressing an organism. (1 of 10 stress definitions)
- The feeling associated with the removal of stress or discomfort.
- 2020 April 8, Philip Haigh, “Out of the current crisis we could see meaningful changes”, in Rail, page 56:
- DfT's action was greeted with great relief in many quarters.
- Release from a post or duty, as when replaced by another.
- The person who takes over a shift for another.
- Officer Schmidt can finally go home because his relief has arrived.
- Aid or assistance offered in time of need.
- (law) Court-ordered compensation, aid, or protection, a redress.
- A lowering of a tax through special provisions; tax relief.
Tax Relief definitionA reduction in the amount of tax that an individual or company has to pay.
- A certain fine or composition paid by the heir of a tenant upon the death of the ancestor.
Fine definitionSenses referring to subjective quality.
- Of superior quality. (1 of 17 fine definitions)
- (removal of stress and discomfort): ease, alleviation, liss, respite
- (feeling of removal of stress and discomfort): ease, alleviation, liss
- (person who takes over a shift): stand-in, substitute, backup, fill-in
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Dictionary:Entry layout § Translations.
- A type of sculpture or other artwork in which shapes or figures protrude from a flat background.
Artwork definitionA painting, drawing, sculpture or other piece of creative, visual art (1 of 3 artwork definitions)
- The apparent difference in elevation in the surface of a painting or drawing made noticeable by a variation in light or color.
Light definitionVisible electromagnetic radiation. The human eye can typically detect radiation (light) in the wavelength range of about 400 to 750 nanometers. Nearby shorter and longer wavelength ranges, although not visible, are commonly called ultraviolet and infrared light. (1 of 16 light definitions)
Color definitionThe spectral composition of visible light. (1 of 23 color definitions)
- The difference of elevations on a surface.
- the relief on that part of the Earth's surface
- (heraldry) The supposed projection of a charge from the surface of a field, indicated by shading on the sinister and lower sides.
- (of a surface) Characterized by surface inequalities.
- Of or used in letterpress.
Letterpress definitionThe printing process in which ink is applied to the top surface of a raised image area, which is then pressed against paper to transfer the image. (1 of 3 letterpress definitions)
relief m (plural reliefs)
- projection, relief
- (geography, mineralogy) relief, surface elevation
- (figuratively) contrast, definition, offset (against something else)
- (sculpture) relief
- “relief” in Trésor de la langue française informatisé (The Digitized Treasury of the French Language).
relief m inan
relief n (plural reliefuri)
- relief (difference of elevations on the Earth's surface)