- 1 English
- 2 Haitian Creole
- 3 Portuguese
- 4 Romanian
- 5 Spanish
This page has 15 definitions of prepare with English translations in 5 languages. Prepare is a verb and noun. Examples of how to use prepare in a sentence are shown. Also define these 0 related words and terms: .
English prepare definition
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /pɹɪˈpɛə/
- (General American) IPA(key): /pɹɪˈpɛəɹ/, /pɹəˈpɛəɹ/
Audio (US) (file)
- (transitive) To make ready for a specific future purpose; to set up; to assemble or equip.
- We prepared the spacecraft for takeoff.
- (transitive) To make ready for eating or drinking; to cook.
- We prepared a fish for dinner.
- (intransitive) To make oneself ready; to get ready, make preparation.
- 1963, Margery Allingham, chapter 19, in The China Governess:
- As soon as Julia returned with a constable, Timothy, who was on the point of exhaustion, prepared to give over to him gratefully. The newcomer turned out to be a powerful youngster, fully trained and eager to help, and he stripped off his tunic at once.
- We prepared for a bumpy ride.
- (transitive) To produce or make by combining elements; to synthesize, compound.
- She prepared a meal from what was left in the cupboards.
- This is a catenative verb that can take a following verb in its to + infinitive form. See Appendix:English catenative verbs
- if you want peace, prepare for war (proverb)
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Dictionary:Entry layout § Translations.
- (obsolete) preparation
- c. 1591–1592, William Shakespeare, “The Third Part of Henry the Sixt, […]”, in Mr. William Shakespeares Comedies, Histories, & Tragedies […] (First Folio), London: […] Isaac Iaggard, and Ed[ward] Blount, published 1623, OCLC 606515358, [Act IV, scene i], line 130:
- Go levy men, and make prepare for war;
Haitian Creole prepare definition
Portuguese prepare definition
- first-person singular (eu) present subjunctive of preparar
- third-person singular (ele and ela, also used with você and others) present subjunctive of preparar
- third-person singular (você) affirmative imperative of preparar
- third-person singular (você) negative imperative of preparar
Romanian prepare definition
Spanish prepare definition