This page has 3 definitions of powerful in English. Powerful is an adjective and adverb. Also define these 0 related words and terms: .
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈpaʊɚfəl/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈpaʊəfəl/
Audio (US) (file)
- Hyphenation: pow‧er‧ful
- Having, or capable of exerting power, potency or influence.
- c. 1591–1595, William Shakespeare, “The Tragedie of Romeo and Ivliet”, in Mr. William Shakespeares Comedies, Histories, & Tragedies: Published According to the True Originall Copies (First Folio), London: […] Isaac Iaggard, and Ed[ward] Blount, published 1623, OCLC 606515358, [Act II, scene iii]:
- The powerful grace that lies / In herbs, plants, stones, and their true qualities.
- 1963, Margery Allingham, chapter 19, in The China Governess:
- As soon as Julia returned with a constable, Timothy, who was on the point of exhaustion, prepared to give over to him gratefully. The newcomer turned out to be a powerful youngster, fully trained and eager to help, and he stripped off his tunic at once.
- (mining) Large; capacious; said of veins of ore.
having or capable of exerting power, potency or influence
- (Southern US) Synonym of