This page has 15 definitions of member in English and Scots. Member is a noun and verb. Examples of how to use member in a sentence are shown. Also define these 0 related words and terms: .
English member definition
From Middle English membre, from Old French membre, from Latin membrum (“limb, body part”), from Proto-Italic *memzrom, from Proto-Indo-European *mḗms, *mēms-rom (“flesh”). Akin to Gothic 𐌼𐌹𐌼𐌶 (mimz, “meat, flesh”), Crimean Gothic menus.
Coexists with native Middle English lim, limb (“member, limb, joint”) (from Old English lim (“limb, joint, main branch”)), and displaced Middle English lith (“limb, joint, member”) (from Old English liþ (“limb, member, join, tip”)).
- membre (obsolete)
- (UK) IPA(key): /ˈmɛmbə/
- (US) IPA(key): /ˈmɛmbɚ/
Audio (US) (file) Audio (AU) (file)
- Hyphenation: mem‧ber
- Rhymes: -ɛmbə(ɹ)
member (plural members)
- One who officially belongs to a group.
- A part of a whole.
- The I-beams were to become structural members of a pedestrian bridge.
- 1979, Kenneth J. Englund, "The Mississippian and Pennsylvanian (Carbonfierous) Systems in the United States - Virginia", Page C-14, in Geological Survey Professional Paper, Volume 1110
- The member intertongues and grades laterally with the lower sandstone member of the Pocahontas Formation of Early Pennslyvanian age
- Part of an animal capable of performing a distinct office; an organ; a limb.
- 1611, The Holy Bible, […] (King James Version), London: […] Robert Barker, […], OCLC 964384981, Romans 12:4:
- For as we haue many members in one body, and all members haue not the same office:
- (euphemistic) The penis.
- (logic) One of the propositions making up a syllogism.
- (set theory) An element of a set.
- Synonym: element
- (Australia, law) the judge or adjudicator in a consumer court.
- A part of a discourse or of a period, sentence, or verse; a clause.
- (mathematics) Either of the two parts of an algebraic equation, connected by the equality sign.
- (computing) A file stored within an archive file.
- The zip file holding the source code of this application has 245 members.
- (object-oriented programming) A function or piece of data associated with each separate instance of a class.
- (Malaysia, slang) friend
- → Japanese: メンバー (menbā)
member (third-person singular simple present members, present participle membering, simple past and past participle membered)
Part or all of this entry has been imported from the 1913 edition of Webster’s Dictionary, which is now free of copyright and hence in the public domain. The imported definitions may be significantly out of date, and any more recent senses may be completely missing.
(See the entry for member in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913)
Scots member definition
Middle English, via Old French from Latin membrum.
member (plural members)