This page has 3 definitions of horticulture in English and French. Horticulture is a noun. Also define these 0 related words and terms: .
English horticulture definition
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈhɔː.tɪˌkʌl.tʃə(ɹ)/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈhɔɹ.tɪˌkʌl.tʃɚ/
- Hyphenation: hor‧ti‧cul‧ture
Audio (US) (file)
- The art or science of cultivating gardens; gardening.
- 1868, Charles Darwin, The Variation of Animals and Plants Under Domestication. […], volume I, London: John Murray, […], OCLC 156100686, page 351:
- Let any one compare the fruit of one of the largest varieties exhibited at our Shows with that of the wild wood strawberry, or, which will be a fairer comparison, with the somewhat larger fruit of the wild American Virginian Strawberry, and he will see what prodigies horticulture has effected.
- Small-scale agriculture.
French horticulture definition
horticulture f (plural horticultures)