This page has 6 definitions of fishing in English. Fishing is a noun and verb. Examples of how to use fishing in a sentence are shown. Also define these 0 related words and terms: .
- (uncountable) The act of catching fish.
- We had a good day's fishing at the weekend.
- (uncountable, informal) The act of catching other forms of seafood, separately or together with fish.
- (uncountable) Commercial fishing: the business or industry of catching fish and other seafood for sale.
- This is good news for the fishing industry.
- (countable) A fishery, a place for catching fish.
- 1633, Edmund Spenser, A Vewe of the Present State of Irelande […], Dublin: […] Sir James Ware; reprinted as A View of the State of Ireland […], Dublin: […] the Society of Stationers, […] Hibernia Press, […] By John Morrison, 1809:
- the rent of the fishings
- 1917, The Scots Law Times (volume 2, page 190)
- Generally speaking, the only fishings which appear separately in Valuation Rolls as having a lettable value in their actual state from year to year are salmon-fishings.
- (act): piscatology, piscation, piscicide (pejorative), piscicapture, the gentle craft
- (business): fishery, the fish industry, the seafood industry
- (sport): sportfishing
- (place): See fishery
- (adj): See fishing
- (adv): halieutically
- (science): halieutics, piscatology
- (writing on fishing): halieutics, piscatory