This page has 5 definitions of edible in English. Edible is an adjective and noun. Examples of how to use edible in a sentence are shown. Also define these 0 related words and terms: .
- (UK) IPA(key): /ˈɛdɪbəl/, /ˈɛdɪbl/
Audio (UK) (file)
- (US) IPA(key): /ˈɛdəbəl/, /ˈɛdəbl/
- Rhymes: -ɛdɪbəl, -ɛdəbəl
- Capable of being eaten without harm; suitable for consumption; innocuous to humans.
- edible fruit
- Capable of being eaten without disgust.
- Although stale, the bread was edible.
- 1957, Jane Van Zandt Brower, Experimental Stdies of Mimicry in Some North American Butterflies, in 1996, Lynne D. Houck, Lee C. Drickamer (editors), Foundations of Animal Behavior: Classic Papers with Commentaries, page 81,
- However, rather than try to place the Viceroy in a rigid, all-or-none category which implies more than the data show, the Viceroy is here considered more edible than its model, the Monarch, but initially less edible (except to C-2) than the non-mimetic butterflies used in these experiments.
- 2009, Ephraim Philip Lansky, Helena Maaria Paavilainen, Figs, page 4,
- This gets to the heart of the matter because, in the parthenogenic state, the fruits are more edible (though there are also apparently advantages to pollinated figs, which may be bigger and stronger) and the trees more productive from the human's point of view.
edible (plural edibles)
- Anything edible.
- (marijuana) a foodstuff, usually a baked good, infused with tetrahydrocannabinol from cannabutter etc.