This page has 8 definitions of dismissal in English. Dismissal is a noun. Also define these 16 related words and terms: office, fired, release, liberation, law, rejection, proceeding, claim, charge, cricket, event, batsman, wicket, Christianity, blessing, and religious service.
- The act of sending someone away.
- Deprivation of office; the fact or process of being fired from employment or stripped of rank.
- 1905, Baroness Emmuska Orczy, chapter 2, in The Hocussing of Cigarette:
- No one, however, would have anything to do with him, as Mr. Keeson's orders in those respects were very strict ; he had often threatened any one of his employés with instant dismissal if he found him in company with one of these touts.
Office definitionA ceremonial duty or service, particularly:
- The authorized form of ceremonial worship of a church.
- Mass, the introit sung at its beginning.
- Any special liturgy, as the Office for the Dead or of the Virgin.
- A daily service without the eucharist.
- The daily service of the breviary, the liturgy for each canonical hour, including psalms, collects, and lessons. (1 of 32 office definitions)
- A written or spoken statement of such an act.
- Release from confinement; liberation.
- Removal from consideration; putting something out of one's mind, mentally disregarding something or someone.
- (law) The rejection of a legal proceeding, or a claim or charge made therein.
- (cricket) The event of a batsman getting out; a wicket.
- (Christianity) The final blessing said by a priest or minister at the end of a religious service
- letter of dismissal