This page has 6 definitions of combatant in English, Middle French, and Romanian, Moldavian, Moldovan. Combatant is a noun, an adjective and verb. Examples of how to use combatant in a sentence are shown. Also define these 0 related words and terms: .
English combatant definition
combatant (plural combatants)
- A person engaged in combat, often armed.
- Gladiators were combatants who fought to the death to entertain the public.
- 1591, William Shakespeare, “The First Part of Henry the Sixt”, in Mr. William Shakespeares Comedies, Histories, & Tragedies […] (First Folio), London: […] Isaac Iaggard, and Ed[ward] Blount, published 1623, OCLC 606515358, [Act IV, scene i]:
- Come hither, you that would be combatants:
Henceforth I charge you, as you love our favour,
Quite to forget this quarrel and the cause.
- 1789, Olaudah Equiano, The Interesting Narrative of the Life of Olaudah Equiano, London: for the author, Volume 1, Chapter 3, p. 112,
- On the passage, one day, for the diversion of those gentlemen, all the boys were called on the quarter deck, and were paired proportionably, and then made to fight; after which the gentlemen gave the combatants from five to nine shillings each.
- 1820, Walter Scott, Ivanhoe; a Romance. […], volume (please specify |volume=I, II, or III), Edinburgh: […] Archibald Constable and Co.; London: Hurst, Robinson, and Co. […], OCLC 230694662:
- If any combatant was struck down, and unable to recover his feet, his squire or page might enter the lists, and drag his master out of the press; but in that case the knight was adjudged vanquished […]
- 1992, William M. Hutchins and Angele Botros Samaan (translators), Sugar Street by Naguib Mahfouz, New York: Anchor Books, 1993, Chapter 48, p. 271,
- “ […] Don’t you realize that alcohol is an essential part of heroism? The combatant and the drunkard are brothers, you genius.”
- Contending; disposed to contend.
- Involving combat.
Middle French combatant definition
combatant (feminine singular combatante, masculine plural combatans, feminine plural combatantes)
Romanian combatant definition
combatant m or n (feminine singular combatantă, masculine plural combatanți, feminine and neuter plural combatante)