This page has two definitions of awareness in English. Awareness is a noun. Examples of how to use awareness in a sentence are shown. Also define these 3 related words and terms: consciousness, observer, and aware.
- (General American) IPA(key): /əˈwɛɚ.nəs/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /əˈwɛə.nəs/
- Hyphenation: aware‧ness
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -ɛə(ɹ)nəs
awareness (usually uncountable, plural awarenesses)
- The state or level of consciousness where sense data can be confirmed by an observer.
- I gradually passed from sleep to full awareness.
Observer definitionOne who makes observations, monitors or takes notice (1 of 6 observer definitions)
- The state or quality of being aware of something.
- The awareness of one type of idea naturally fosters an awareness of another idea
- raise awareness of a topic
- 1981, William Irwin Thompson, The Time Falling Bodies Take to Light:Mythology, Sexuality and the Origins of Culture, page 8:
- Like a mind moving on a Möbius strip of events, one's consciousness goes over the same territory again and again without ever becoming aware of the nature of awareness.
Aware definitionVigilant or on one's guard against danger or difficulty. (1 of 2 aware definitions)
- (state of consciousness): consciousness, wakefulness
- (state of being aware of something): knowledge, consciousness
the state of consciousness
the state or quality of being aware of something