This page has 11 definitions of acceptance in English and Scots. Acceptance is a noun. Examples of how to use acceptance in a sentence are shown. Also define these 0 related words and terms: .
English acceptance definition
- First attested in 1574. From Middle French acceptance, from Old French accepter (“accept”). Equivalent to accept + -ance.
- (uncountable) The act of accepting; the receiving of something offered, with acquiescence, approbation, or satisfaction; especially, favourable reception; approval.
- the acceptance of a gift, office, doctrine, etc.
- 1611, The Holy Bible, […] (King James Version), London: […] Robert Barker, […], →OCLC, Isaiah 60:7:
- All the flockes of Kedar shall be gathered together vnto thee, the rams of Nebaioth shall minister vnto thee: they shall come vp with acceptance on mine altar, and I wil glorifie the house of my glory.
- (countable) An instance of that act.
- Belief in something; agreement, assent.
- The state of being accepted.
- The usual or accepted meaning of a word or expression.
- (business, finance) An assent and engagement by the person on whom a bill of exchange is drawn, to pay it when due according to the terms of the acceptance; the bill of exchange itself when accepted.
- (law) An agreeing to the action, proposals, or terms of another by some act which results in the conclusion of a legally binding contract; the reception or taking of a thing bought as that for which it was bought, or as that agreed to be delivered, or the taking of possession of a thing as owner.
- (government, US) The act of an authorized representative of the government by which the government assents to ownership of existing and identified supplies, or approves specific services rendered, as partial or complete performance of a contract.
- (horse racing, Australia, New Zealand, plural only) A list of horses accepted as starters in a race.
- (optics) Synonym of .
In modern law, offer and acceptance are necessary elements for a legally binding contract.
- acceptaunce (obsolete)
- (act of accepting): accepting, receiving, reception, approval
- (state of being accepted): acceptableness
- (assent and engagement by person on whom bill of exchange is drawn): assent
- (assent and engagement by person on whom bill of exchange is drawn): banker's acceptance, trade acceptance
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables. See instructions at Dictionary:Entry layout § Translations.
- “acceptance”, in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, Springfield, Mass.: G. & C. Merriam, 1913, →OCLC.
acceptance on Wikipedia.Wikipedia
acceptance (disambiguation) on Wikipedia.Wikipedia
offer and acceptance on Wikipedia.Wikipedia
Scots acceptance definition
- Eagle, Andy, ed. (2016) The Online Scots Dictionary, Scots Online.