Define the English word Physalia physalis below. Physalia physalis is a proper noun. Also define these 6 related words and terms: species, family, Portuguese man-of-war, bluebottle, jellyfish, and medusa.
- A taxonomic species within the family Physaliidae – the Portuguese man-of-war or bluebottle, resembling a jellyfish or medusa.
Species definitionType or kind. (1 of 11 species definitions)
Family definitionA group of people who are closely related to one another (by blood, marriage or adoption); kin; in particular, a set of parents and their children; an immediate family. (1 of 12 family definitions)
Portuguese Man-Of-War definitionPhysalia physalis, a marine cnidarian consisting of a floating colony of hydrozoans attached to a float, superficially resembling a jellyfish. (1 of 2 Portuguese man-of-war definitions)
Bluebottle definitionAny of various blowflies of the genus Calliphora that have an iridescent metallic-blue body and make a loud buzzing noise when flying. (1 of 6 bluebottle definitions)
Jellyfish definitionAn almost transparent aquatic animal; any one of the acalephs, especially one of the larger species, having a jellylike appearance. (1 of 5 jellyfish definitions)
Medusa definitionA jellyfish; specifically , a non-polyp form of individual cnidarians, consisting of a gelatinous umbrella-shaped bell and trailing tentacles.
Physalia physalis on Wikipedia.Wikipedia
Physalia physalis on Wikispecies.Wikispecies
Physalia physalis on Wikimedia Commons.Wikimedia Commons
- Physalia physalis at Integrated Taxonomic Information System.
- Physalia physalis at National Center for Biotechnology Information
- Physalia physalis at Encyclopedia of Life
- Physalia physalis at World Register of Marine Species
- Physalia_physalis at Animal Diversity Web