Native American definition
This page has 3 definitions of Native American in English. Native American is a noun and adjective. Also define these 0 related words and terms: .
- An American Indian.
- (dated) A resident of the United States who is not an immigrant. (Often capitalized native American.)
- Native American is often used in place of American Indian, although some people insist on being called American Indians, and the latter is not usually considered offensive. In some cases, offense can be avoided by referring to Indians from Canada as First Nations people, Native Canadians, or Aboriginal peoples of Canada.
- The second definition can cause confusion, and the phrase Native-born American is preferred in ambiguous contexts. This definition was used by anti-Catholic and anti-immigrant political factions in the 1850s; they called themselves the "Native American Party" before settling on the names "Americans" and "Know-Nothings".
- In the U.S many now prefer the designation Native American instead of Indian for the first inhabitants of the Western Hemisphere, although usage may vary according to tribe and region. In Canada and Alaska in particular, American Indian is still preferred as marking a useful distinction from Eskimos.
- see also Thesaurus:Native American
- Of the American Indians.