This page has 5 definitions of Ireland in English. Ireland is a proper noun. Also define these 6 related words and terms: Europe, republic, island, Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland, and surname.
From Middle English Ireland, Irelond, Irlond, Irland, from Old English Īr- as in Īras ("Irishmen") + land, lond. Perhaps also from Middle Irish Éire + -land. Ultimately from Old Irish Ériu (“Ireland”). See Irish.
- IPA(key): /ˈaɪə(ɹ)lənd/
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -aɪə(ɹ)lənd
- Hyphenation: Ire‧land
- A large island in northwestern Europe.
Europe definition(1 of 5 Europe definitions)
- A republic occupying the majority-area of the island of Ireland, with Northern Ireland occupying the rest of the island. Also known as the Republic of Ireland since 1949.
Northern Ireland definition(1 of 2 Northern Ireland definitions)
Republic Of Ireland definition(1 of 2 Republic of Ireland definitions)
- A surname.
- (island): Emerald Isle, Erin, Eire (rare), Wolfland (obsolete nickname)
- (country): Republic of Ireland, Southern Ireland
- (both): Éire, Eire
- Appendix:Place names in Ireland
- (countries of Europe) country of Europe; Albania, Andorra, Armenia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Kazakhstan, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, Netherlands, North Macedonia, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, San Marino, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, Ukraine, United Kingdom, Vatican City