Central American Football Union
Sports governing body
Top 3 Central American Football Union related articles
Logo of UNCAF
|7 member associations|
The Unión Centroamericana de Fútbol (Central American Football Union), more commonly known by the acronym UNCAF, represents the national football teams of Central America: Belize, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, and Panama. Its member associations are part of CONCACAF.
Central American Football Union Intro articles: 7
The UNCAF was founded in 1990.
The UNCAF organize various competitions, the Central American Cup is played every two years, starting in 1991, and usually feature the seven national teams. Costa Rica is the most successful team, winning the tournament eight times (1991, 1997, 1999, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2013, and 2014). Honduras have won the tournament four times (1993, 1995, 2011, and 2017). Guatemala won the tournament in 2001, and Panama won it in 2009. This tournament usually runs as a qualification round for the CONCACAF Gold Cup.
The UNCAF also ran the Copa Interclubes UNCAF, a competition for the champions and runners-up of the domestic leagues of the UNCAF members; C.D. Motagua (Honduras) was the last champion (2007). Similarly to the Central American Cup, this competition qualified three teams to the CONCACAF Champions' Cup. As it expanded into the CONCACAF Champions League in 2008, all of the Central American nations have at least one team and the Copa Interclubes UNCAF was disbanded.
- Copa Centroamericana – Was the International tournament for Central America, top 4–5 qualify for the CONCACAF Gold Cup.
- Copa Interclubes UNCAF – Was a club championship for Central America in which the top 3 teams qualified for CONCACAF Champions' Cup.
- UNCAF Women's Interclub Championship – First edition held in 2016.
UNCAF runs several competitions which cover men's, women's, youth and futsal.
Current title holders
|National teams (Men's)|
|Beach Soccer Cup||2018||
|National teams (Women's)|
|Women's Copa Centroamericana||2018||
|Women's U-20 Tournament||2019||
|Women's U-17 Tournament||2017||
|Women's U-16 Tournament||2019||
|Club teams (Men's)|
|U-17 Interclub Cup||2018||
|Club teams (Women's)|
|Women's Interclub Championship||2019||
Central American Football Union History articles: 33
Major tournament records
National teams appearances in international tournaments
|National team||World Cup||Women's World Cup||Gold Cup||Women's Gold Cup|
- CONCACAF League
- North American Football Confederation (NAFC)
- Confederación Centroamericana y del Caribe de Fútbol (CCCF)
- "Digicel and the Central American Union of Football (UNCAF) launch the Copa de Naciones Digicel 2009". Digicel Football. 11 December 2008. Archived from the original on 8 April 2013. Retrieved 21 February 2013.
- UNCAF official website (in Spanish)