UFC mixed martial arts event in 2021
Top 3 UFC 260 related articles
|UFC 260: Miocic vs. Ngannou 2|
|Promotion||Ultimate Fighting Championship|
|Date||March 27, 2021|
|City||Enterprise, Nevada, United States|
|Attendance||None (behind closed doors)|
UFC 260: Miocic vs. Ngannou 2 was a mixed martial arts event produced by the Ultimate Fighting Championship that took place on March 27, 2021 at the UFC Apex facility in Enterprise, Nevada, part of the Las Vegas Metropolitan Area, United States.
UFC 260 Intro articles: 2
A UFC Heavyweight Championship rematch bout between current two-time champion Stipe Miocic and Francis Ngannou headlined this event. The pairing met previously at UFC 220 on January 20, 2018, where Miocic won via unanimous decision and broke the record for most consecutive title defenses for the division with his third.
A UFC Featherweight Championship bout between current champion Alexander Volkanovski and former title challenger Brian Ortega would have served as the co-main event. However, the fight was cancelled a week before taking place as Volkanovski tested positive for COVID-19. The pairing is expected to be rescheduled for a future event.
Johnny Walker was expected to face Jimmy Crute in a light heavyweight bout at the event. However, Walker pulled out of the fight in early February citing a chest injury. Promotion officials elected to remove Crute from the card and reschedule him against Anthony Smith the following month at UFC 261.
A heavyweight bout between former WSOF Heavyweight Champion Blagoy Ivanov and Marcin Tybura was scheduled to take place at the event. However, Ivanov was pulled from the bout in late February, citing an injury. Tybura is now expected to compete against Walt Harris at UFC Fight Night 193 on June 5.
A women's flyweight bout between Gillian Robertson and Miranda Maverick was scheduled for UFC 258, but it was cancelled on the day of the event after Robertson had a non-COVID related illness. They eventually met at this event.
A women's strawweight bout between Randa Markos and promotional newcomer Luana Pinheiro was expected to take place at the event. However, Markos was removed from the card on March 18 after testing positive for COVID-19. The pairing is expected to be left intact and rescheduled five weeks later at UFC on ESPN: Reyes vs. Procházka.
Former Invicta FC Atomweight Champion and UFC Women's Strawweight Championship challenger Jessica Penne and Hannah Goldy were expected to meet in a women’s strawweight bout at the event. However on March 24, Goldy tested positive for COVID-19 and the bout was postponed. While not officially announced by the promotion, the pairing is expected to remain intact and take place three weeks later at UFC on ESPN: Whittaker vs. Gastelum.
A light heavyweight bout between Alonzo Menifield and William Knight was originally expected to take place at UFC Fight Night: Rozenstruik vs. Gane. However, the bout was postponed during the week leading up to the event after Menifield tested positive for COVID-19. The bout was then rescheduled for this event, but this time Knight was removed due to COVID-19 protocols and was replaced by promotional newcomer Fabio Cherant. At the weight-ins, Cherant weighted 206.5 pounds, half a pound over the non-title light heavyweight limit. His bout proceeded at a catchweight and he was fined 20% of his individual purse, which went to Menifield.
UFC 260 Background articles: 27
|Heavyweight||Francis Ngannou||def.||Stipe Miocic (c)||KO (punch)||2||0:52||[a]|
|Welterweight||Vicente Luque||def.||Tyron Woodley||Submission (brabo choke)||1||3:56|
|Bantamweight||Sean O'Malley||def.||Thomas Almeida||KO (punch)||3||3:52|
|Women’s Flyweight||Miranda Maverick||def.||Gillian Robertson||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 30–27, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Lightweight||Jamie Mullarkey||def.||Khama Worthy||KO (punches)||1||0:46|
|Preliminary card (ESPN / ESPN+)|
|Catchweight (206.5 lb)||Alonzo Menifield||def.||Fabio Cherant||Submission (shoulder choke)||1||1:11|
|Welterweight||Abubakar Nurmagomedov||def.||Jared Gooden||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 30–27, 30–27)||3||5:00|
|Light Heavyweight||Michał Oleksiejczuk||def.||Modestas Bukauskas||Decision (split) (29–28, 28–29, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Featherweight||Omar Morales||def.||Shane Young||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 30–27, 30–27)||3||5:00|
|Early preliminary card (ESPN+ / UFC Fight Pass)|
|Middleweight||Marc-André Barriault||def.||Abu Azaitar||TKO (punches)||3||4:56|
- For the UFC Heavyweight Championship.
The following fighters received $50,000 bonuses.
- Fight of the Night: Vicente Luque vs. Tyron Woodley
- Performance of the Night: Francis Ngannou and Sean O'Malley
- Mike Bohn (2021-03-28). "UFC 260 post-event facts: Vicente Luque rapidly becoming an all-time great finisher". mmajunkie.usatoday.com. Retrieved 2021-03-29.
- Brent Brookhouse (2021-01-23). "UFC 260 fight card: Stipe Miocic vs. Francis Ngannou 2 set to headline second PPV event in March". cbssports.com. Retrieved 2021-01-24.
- Nolan King (2021-02-09). "Nevada Athletic Commission approves four UFC events for March in Las Vegas". mmajunkie.usatoday.com. Retrieved 2021-02-09.
- Mike Bohn (2021-01-16). "Stipe Miocic vs. Francis Ngannou rematch to headline UFC 260 in March". mmajunkie.usatoday.com. Retrieved 2021-01-17.
- Kevin Iole (2018-01-21). "UFC 220: Stipe Miocic dominates Francis Ngannou, retains heavyweight belt". sports.yahoo.com. Retrieved 2021-01-17.
- Ariel Helwani (2021-01-16). "Sources: Alexander Volkanovski to defend UFC featherweight title vs. Brian Ortega at UFC 260". espn.com. Retrieved 2021-01-17.
- Damon Martin (2021-03-20). "Alexander Volkanovski out of UFC 260 due to COVID-19 protocols, fight against Brian Ortega to be rescheduled". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2021-03-20.
- Prateek Arya (2021-01-03). "Jimmy Crute vs. Johnny Walker: an intriguing light heavyweight fight set for March 27, 2021". thesportsrush.com. Retrieved 2021-02-10.
- Farah Hannoun (2021-02-09). "Torn pectoral muscle forces Johnny Walker out of UFC 260 fight vs. Jimmy Crute". mmajunkie.usatoday.com. Retrieved 2021-02-09.
- Danny Segura (2021-02-09). "Anthony Smith replaces Johnny Walker, meets Jimmy Crute at UFC 261 in April". mmajunkie.usatoday.com. Retrieved 2021-02-09.
- Mookie Alexander (2021-02-16). "Report: Marcin Tybura vs. Blagoy Ivanov slated for UFC 260". bloodyelbow.com. Retrieved 2021-02-23.
- Danny Segura (2021-02-23). "Injury forces Blagoy Ivanov out of UFC 260 bout vs. Marcin Tybura". mmajunkie.usatoday.com. Retrieved 2021-02-23.
- Farah Hannoun and Nolan King (2021-03-06). "Marcin Tybura shifts to UFC Fight Night on June 5, will face Walt Harris". mmajunkie.usatoday.com. Retrieved 2021-03-06.
- Steven Marrocco (2021-02-13). "Gillian Robertson vs. Miranda Maverick scratched from UFC 258 after Robertson falls ill". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2021-02-24.
- Nolan King (2021-02-24). "After fight-day cancellation, Gillian Robertson vs. Miranda Maverick rebooked for UFC 260". mmajunkie.usatoday.com. Retrieved 2021-02-24.
- Farah Hannoun (2021-03-05). "Randa Markos vs. Luana Pinheiro added to UFC 260". mmajunkie.usatoday.com. Retrieved 2021-03-18.
- Evelyn Rodrigues and Raphael Marinho (2021-03-18). "Randa Markos off UFC 260 for covid-19 protocol and Luana Pinheiro waits for a new rival". globoesporte.globo.com. Retrieved 2021-03-18. (in Portuguese)
- Guilherme Cruz (2021-03-22). "Randa Markos vs. Luana Pinheiro set for May 1 UFC event". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2021-03-22.
- Tim Bissell (2021-02-02). "After serving 20 month suspension Jessica Penne to return at UFC 260". bloodyelbow.com. Retrieved 2021-03-25.
- Adam Martin (2021-03-24). "Hannah Goldy tests positive for COVID-19, fight with Jessica Penne at UFC 260 off". Bjorne.com. Retrieved 2021-03-24.
- Staff (2021-03-24). "Canceled fights and substitutes for UFC 260 this Saturday". mmadna.nl. Retrieved 2021-03-24. (in Dutch)
- Nolan King and Mike Bohn (2020-11-23). "William Knight vs. Alonzo Menifield added to UFC Fight Night on Feb. 27". mmajunkie.usatoday.com. Retrieved 2020-03-24.
- Nolan King and Mike Bohn (2020-02-25). "Alonzo Menifield tests positive for COVID-19; UFC Fight Night 186 bout vs. William Knight postponed". mmajunkie.usatoday.com. Retrieved 2021-03-24.
- Nolan King (2021-03-24). "William Knight out of UFC 260 due to COVID-19 protocols; Alonzo Menifield meets Fabio Cherant". mmajunkie.usatoday.com. Retrieved 2021-03-24.
- Alexander K. Lee (2021-03-26). "UFC 260 weigh-in results: Stipe Miocic gives up almost 30 pounds to Francis Ngannou, two miss on first attempt". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2021-03-26.
- Marc Raimondi (2021-04-01). "UFC's new Venum uniform deal gives fighters slight pay bump". espn.com. Retrieved 2021-04-01.
- "UFC 260: Miocic vs. Ngannou 2". Ultimate Fighting Championship. Retrieved 2021-01-24.
- Staff (2021-03-27). "UFC 260 bonuses: The new champ is among the $50,000 winners". mmajunkie.usatoday.com. Retrieved 2021-03-27.