Military technology and supplies in military and commercial supply chain management
Top 10 Materiel related articles
|Part of a series on|
Materiel (more commonly matériel in American English, also listed as the only spelling in some UK dictionaries, both pronounced //, from French: matériel, lit. 'equipment, hardware') refers to supplies, equipment, and weapons in military supply-chain management, and typically supplies and equipment only in a commercial supply chain context.
In a military context, the term "materiel" refers either to the specific needs (excluding manpower) of a force to complete a specific mission, or the general sense of the needs (excluding manpower) of a functioning army.
Materiel management consists of continuing actions relating to planning, organizing, directing, coordinating, controlling, and evaluating the application of resources to ensure the effective and economical support of military forces. It includes provisioning, cataloging, requirements determination, acquisition, distribution, maintenance, and disposal. The terms "materiel management", "materiel control", "inventory control", "inventory management", and "supply management" are synonymous.
Military materiel is often shipped to and used in severe climates without controlled warehouses or fixed material handling equipment. Packaging and labeling often need to meet stringent technical specifications to help ensure proper delivery and final use.
Materiel in the commercial distribution context refers to the products of the business, as distinct from those involved in operating the business itself.
- Anti-materiel rifle
- Matériel (French Army)
- Military acquisition
- Military logistics
- Military supply chain management
- Supply chain
- United States Army Materiel Command
- Air Force Materiel Command
- United States Army Medical Research and Materiel Command
- Random House Dictionary
- Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English
- [Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary]
- DoD Integrated Materiel Management (IMM) for Consumable Items, 4140.26-M, Volume 2, September 24, 2010, Glossary, p. 38.
- Mitchell, D G (December 2017). "The important role of materiel management in building Army readiness". Army Sustainment. Retrieved March 1, 2019.
- Maloney, J. C. (July 2003). "The History and Significance of Military Packaging" (PDF). Defence Packaging Policy Group. Defence Logistics Agency. Retrieved 30 Oct 2016.
The dictionary definition of materiel at Wiktionary