Jessica Bruder is an American journalist who writes about subcultures and teaches narrative writing at Columbia Journalism School.
Jessica Bruder Early life articles: 3
Bruder has written for The New York Times since 2003. She also writes for WIRED, New York Magazine and Harper's Magazine. Her first book was Burning Book: A Visual History of Burning Man. She also produced the film CamperForce, directed by Brett Story.
For her book Nomadland: Surviving America in the Twenty-First Century, she spent months living in a camper van named Van Halen, documenting itinerant Americans who gave up traditional housing to hit the road full-time. The project spanned three years and more than 15,000 miles of driving, from coast to coast and from Mexico to the Canadian border. Named a New York Times 2017 Notable Book, Nomadland won the 2017 Barnes & Noble Discover Award and was a finalist for the J. Anthony Lukas Prize and the Helen Bernstein Book Award.
In February 2019, Fox Searchlight Pictures announced that her book Nomadland: Surviving America in the Twenty-First Century, had been optioned by Frances McDormand and Peter Spears for a film, also titled Nomadland. David Strathairn, Linda May and Charlene Swankie joined McDormand in the cast of the film, and Chloé Zhao directed from a screenplay she wrote based on the book. Peter Spears, Mollye Asher, Dan Janvey and Zhao were announced as producers of the film, which Fox Searchlight Pictures planned to distribute.
Jessica Bruder Work articles: 7
- "Jessica Bruder | School of Journalism". journalism.columbia.edu. Retrieved 2019-02-19.
- (June 2018). About the Author (Jessica Burder '00), amherst.edu, Retrieved 5 March 2019
- "The New York Times - Search". www.nytimes.com. Retrieved 2019-02-19.
- "Jessica Bruder | WIRED". www.wired.com. Retrieved 2019-02-19.
- "NYC Guide to Restaurants, Fashion, Nightlife, Shopping, Politics, Movies". New York Magazine. Retrieved 2019-02-19.
- "Jessica Bruder | Harper's Magazine". Retrieved 2019-02-19.
- CamperForce (2017), retrieved 2019-02-19
- "Nomadland | W.W. Norton & Company". books.wwnorton.com. Retrieved 2019-02-15.
- Hochschild, Arlie Russell (2017-11-17). "In 'Nomadland,' the Golden Years Are the Wander Years". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2019-02-19.
- "Jessica Bruder | Nantucket Book Festival". Jessica Bruder | Nantucket Book Festival. Retrieved 2019-02-19.
- "100 Notable Books of 2017". The New York Times. 2017-11-22. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2019-02-19.
- "Barnes & Noble Announces the Winners of the 27th Annual Discover Awards". Barnes & Noble Inc. 2018-03-07. Retrieved 2019-02-19.
- "Announcing the 2018 J. Anthony Lukas Prize Project Awards Winners and Finalists | School of Journalism". journalism.columbia.edu. Retrieved 2019-02-19.
- "The Bernstein Awards 2018: Meet the Finalists". The New York Public Library. Retrieved 2019-02-19.
- N'Duka, Amanda (2019-02-12). "Chloé Zhao's 'Nomadland' Starring Frances McDormand Lands at Fox Searchlight". Deadline. Retrieved 2019-02-19.