Spanish association football player
|Full name||Daniel Olmo Carvajal|
|Date of birth||7 May 1998|
|Place of birth||Terrassa, Spain|
|Height||1.79 m (5 ft 10 in)|
|2015–2017||Dinamo Zagreb II||25||(3)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 23:14, 13 May 2021 (UTC)|
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of 21:55, 6 July 2021 (UTC)
Daniel "Dani" Olmo Carvajal (born 7 May 1998) is a Spanish professional footballer who plays for Bundesliga club RB Leipzig and the Spain national team. He can play as either an attacking midfielder or a winger.
In a surprise move, Olmo joined Dinamo Zagreb on 31 July 2014, aged 16. He made his first team debut against Lokomotiva Zagreb on 7 February 2015. On 22 August 2016, Olmo signed a new four-year contract with Dinamo Zagreb.
On 20 September 2018, he provided Izet Hajrović with an assist for the third goal and scored the fourth in the Europa League 4–1 victory over Fenerbahçe. On 17 December, Olmo was named the best player of Prva HNL for 2018. In the same month, he finished 11th in Tuttosport's Golden Boy award, ahead of the likes of Kylian Mbappé and Josip Brekalo. On 14 February 2019, he scored the only goal in a Europa League round of 32 game against Viktoria Plzeň, that ended in a 2–1 loss. On 3 June, he was named the best player and best young player of the 2018–19 Prva HNL season.
On 18 September 2019, he made his Champions League debut in a 4–0 home win over Atalanta. He scored his first goal in the competition on 22 October in a 2–2 away draw with Shakhtar Donetsk. He scored the only Dinamo's goal in a 1–4 home defeat to Manchester City on 11 December, as Dinamo finished at the bottom of the group.
He made his debut on 1 February 2020, in a 2–2 draw with Borussia Mönchengladbach coming on for Tyler Adams in 69th minute. Three days later he scored the only goal in a 3–1 DFB-Pokal defeat to Eintracht Frankfurt, having come on for Amadou Haidara in 46th minute. He earned his first start for the club on 9 February, in a game against Bayern Munich that ended as a goalless draw, coming off for Patrik Schick in 69th minute. On 12 June, he scored both goals in a 2–0 victory over 1899 Hoffenheim. On 13 August, he scored the opening goal in a 2–1 victory over Atlético Madrid at Estádio José Alvalade, as Leipzig progressed to the Champions League semi-final for the first time in the history of the club.
Olmo was part of the Spanish squad at the 2015 European Under-17 Championship in Bulgaria; he netted in the penalty shoot-out as they were eliminated by Germany in the quarter-finals, but then had his attempt saved by Will Huffer as Spain lost to England by the same means in a play-off for that year's World Cup for the category. Towards the end of 2017, Dinamo Zagreb director Tomislav Svetina said that the club was doing all it could to get the teenager Croatian citizenship. Olmo himself showed a desire to switch to Croatia at the international level. However, in October 2018, he made his debut for the Spanish under-21 side.
Olmo was part of the Spanish squad that won 2019 UEFA European Under-21 Championship in Italy and San Marino, playing four matches, assisting one goal and scoring three, including one in the final which caused him to be named Man of the Match.
Olmo earned his first senior team call-up in November 2019, for Euro 2020 qualifiers against Malta and Romania, after Spain had already qualified for the tournament. He debuted on 15 November as a substitute for Álvaro Morata in the 66th minute and scored three minutes later in the 7–0 home victory over Malta. Fellow debutant Pau Torres also scored, making it the first time that two Spaniards scored on their first cap in 30 years.
On 24 May 2021, Olmo was included in Luis Enrique's 24-man squad for the UEFA Euro 2020. On 28 June, in the extra time of the round of 16 fixture against Croatia, he provided Morata and Mikel Oyarzabal with assists to set the score at 4–3 and 5–3 respectively. On 2 July, after the quarter-final 1–1 draw with Switzerland went to a penalty shoot-out, Olmo successfully converted his as Spain won 3–1. On 6 July, in the semi-final fixture against Italy, he provided Morata with an assist for an equalizer; however, another 1–1 draw went to another shoot-out with Olmo missing his penalty and Italy winning 4–2.
Olmo's father, Miquel, is a retired footballer. A forward, he played professionally for lower-league teams. Dani's older brother Carlos is also a footballer and plays as a defender for Lokomotiva Zagreb. Olmo speaks Croatian fluently.
- As of match played 13 May 2021
|Dinamo Zagreb II||2015–16||Druga HNL||15||1||—||—||15||1|
|Dinamo Zagreb||2014–15||Prva HNL||5||0||—||—||5||0|
- As of match played 6 July 2021
- Scores and results list Spain's goal tally first.
|1||15 November 2019||Ramón de Carranza, Cádiz, Spain||1||
||5–0||7–0||UEFA Euro 2020 qualifying|
|2||28 March 2021||Boris Paichadze Dinamo Arena, Tbilisi, Georgia||10||
||2–1||2–1||2022 FIFA World Cup qualification|
|3||31 March 2021||La Cartuja, Seville, Spain||11||
- Prva HNL: 2014–15, 2015–16, 2017–18, 2018–19, 2019–20
- Croatian Cup: 2014–15, 2015–16, 2017–18
- Croatian Super Cup: 2019
- UEFA European Under-21 Championship – Team of the Tournament: 2019
- UEFA European Under-21 Championship Final – Man of the Match: 2019
- UEFA Champions League – Matchday 6 – Goal of the Week: 2019
- UEFA Champions League – Breakthrough XI: 2019
National and regional
- Tportal – Prva HNL Player of the Year: 2018
- Trophy Footballer – Best Prva HNL player: 2019
- Trophy Footballer – Best Prva HNL U-21 player: 2019
- Trophy Footballer – Prva HNL Team of the Year: 2019
- GNK Dinamo Zagreb – Player of the Year: 2019
- SIMPOSAR International Sports Symposium – Discovery of the Year: 2019
- Young Catalan Player of the Year runner-up: 2019
- Dani Olmo | Dinamo Zagreb - GNK Dinamo
- Onyekwe, Samuel (22 June 2019). "Five Spain stars to keep an eye on as European Under-21 Championship continues". Daily Mirror. Retrieved 2 July 2019.
- Pandey, Kaustubh (3 July 2019). "Lowdown on Manchester United target Dani Olmo: Scout Report". Calcio Mercato. Retrieved 18 August 2019.
- "Dinamo Zagreb Sign Talented Spain & Barcelona Youth Captain". Croatia Week. 31 July 2014. Retrieved 18 November 2019.
- MODRA BUDUĆNOST: SJAJNI MLADIĆI KOJI NEZAUSTAVLJIVO DOLAZE at gnkdinamo.hr (in Croatian), 12 February 2015
- OLMO DAO POVJERENJE DINAMU NA IDUĆE ČETIRI GODINE at gnkdinamo.hr (in Croatian), 22 August 2016
- Delač, Hrvoje (20 September 2018). "Veličanstvena pobjeda Dinama! Fener na Maksimiru dobio četiri komada". Večernji list (in Croatian). Retrieved 26 September 2020.
- "Dani Olmo najbolji je nogometaš godine prema izboru kapetana hrvatskih prvoligaša". tportal.hr (in Croatian). Retrieved 20 December 2018.
- "Olmo ispred Mbappea, Brekalo u TOP 20 najboljih U21 igrača". www.24sata.hr (in Croatian). Retrieved 20 December 2018.
- S. Š. (14 February 2019). "Razočaranom Olmu 'izletila' psovka: Pala je koncentracija, ali prolazimo". Tportal.hr (in Croatian). Retrieved 26 September 2020.
- "Spaniard Dani Olmo is named player of the season in Croatia". MARCA in English. 3 June 2019. Retrieved 4 June 2019.
- "Dinamo Zagreb–Atalanta | UEFA Champions League". UEFA.com. 18 September 2019. Retrieved 19 November 2019.
- "Shakhtar Donetsk–Dinamo Zagreb | UEFA Champions League". UEFA.com. 22 October 2019. Retrieved 19 November 2019.
- "Dinamo Zagreb–Manchester City | UEFA Champions League". UEFA.com. 11 December 2019. Retrieved 18 January 2020.
- "I POBJEDNIK JE - DANI OLMO! Stiglo veliko priznanje za najskupljeg Dinamovog igrača: Najljepši potez posljednjeg kola Lige prvaka viđen je u Maksimiru". Sportske novosti (in Croatian). 13 December 2019. Retrieved 18 January 2020.
- "Dani Olmo verstärkt RB Leipzig!". dierotenbullen.com (in German). RB Leipzig. 25 January 2020. Retrieved 25 January 2020.
- "Dani Olmo joins RB Leipzig from Dinamo Zagreb". bundesliga.com - the official Bundesliga website. Retrieved 26 January 2020.
- HINA (1 February 2020). "VIDEO: POGLEDAJTE TRENUTAK KADA JE DANI OLMO DEBITIRAO I POGODIO STATIVU! Bivši dinamovac sjajnim potezom zapalio tribine, Leipzig do boda u završnici" (in Croatian). Sportske novosti. Retrieved 1 February 2020.
- "VIDEO: DANI OLMO ZABIO PRVIJENAC U DRESU RB LEIPZIGA Pogledajte kako je donedavni Dinamov as već u drugom nastupu pokazao koliko vrijedi!" (in Croatian). Sportske novosti. 4 February 2020. Retrieved 15 February 2020.
- Kižlin, Slaven (9 February 2020). "FOTO: DANI OLMO I RB LEIPZIG NEPORAŽENI U VELIKOM NJEMAČKOM DERBIJU Bivši dinamovac prvi put započeo utakmicu u novom klubu" (in Croatian). Sportske novosti. Retrieved 15 February 2020.
- "Olmo poludio! U dvije minute strpao dva lijepa gola za pobjedu Leipziga". Gol.hr (in Croatian). 12 June 2020.
- "Dani Olmo zabio, RB Leipzig eliminirao Atletico Madrid za polufinale Lige prvaka!". Gol.hr (in Croatian). 13 August 2020.
- JL. (13 August 2020). "Dani Olmo sjajno pogodio u povijesnoj pobjedi Leipziga! Nijemci srušili Atletico u samoj završnici". Sportske novosti (in Croatian).
- Spanish Teenage Talent Wants to Play for Croatia
- "OLMO JE GLAVNA FACA: EVO ŠTO NAVIJAČI BARCELONE KAŽU ZA IGRAČA DINAMA!". nogometne-vijesti.hr (in Croatian). 1 July 2019. Retrieved 1 July 2019.
- "Spain beat Germany for fifth U21 title". UEFA. 30 June 2019. Retrieved 1 July 2019.
- "Under-21 EURO: every man of the match". UEFA. 30 June 2019. Retrieved 1 July 2019.
- "VELIKA VIJEST: DINAMOVAC DOBIO PRIZNANJE KARIJERE! Dani Olmo po prvi je put postao reprezentativac jedne od najmoćnijih nogometnih nacija!". Sportske novosti (in Croatian). 8 November 2019. Retrieved 8 November 2019.
- "Santi Cazorla scores first Spain goal in four years in win over Malta". BBC Sport. 15 November 2019. Retrieved 17 November 2019.
- "Dani Olmo and Pau Torres make history in Spain stroll". Diario AS. 15 November 2019. Retrieved 16 November 2019.
- Braidwood, Jamie (24 May 2021). "Euro 2020 news LIVE: Sergio Ramos left out of Spain squad plus latest before England announcement". The Independent. Retrieved 24 May 2021.
- "Enriqueov joker zovi: Dani Olmo ubilježio je dvije ključne asistencije protiv Hrvatske". Telesport (in Croatian). 28 June 2021. Retrieved 6 July 2021.
- Kunić, Esmir (2 July 2021). "Španija nakon penala savladala Švicarsku i izborila polufinale Eura". N1 (in Bosnian). Retrieved 6 July 2021.
- "Italija u finalu, Olmo i Morata tragičari Furije!". Sportklub (in Croatian). 6 July 2021. Retrieved 6 July 2021.
- "Al Barça se le fugan los canteranos: Dani Olmo rompe su contrato y se marcha al Dinamo de Zagreb" (in Spanish). Voz Populy. 1 August 2014. Retrieved 24 February 2017.
- "BRAVO, LJUDINO! Dani Olmo sjetio se Vukovara, nije čudo da je miljenik navijača" (in Croatian). direktno.hr. 19 November 2018. Retrieved 30 June 2019.
- "Dani Olmo". Soccerway.
- "Daniel Olmo". European Football. Retrieved 8 June 2021.
- Begley, Emlyn (30 June 2019). "Spain U21 2–1 Germany U21". BBC Sport. Retrieved 1 July 2019.
- "Official Under-21 Team of the Tournament". UEFA. 1 July 2019. Retrieved 2 July 2019.
- "Champions League breakthrough team of 2019". UEFA. 30 December 2019. Retrieved 30 December 2019.
- "Luka Modrić najbolji, Dinamo pokupio brojne nagrade" (in Croatian). 2 June 2019. Retrieved 18 August 2019.
- "Dani Olmo named best player in the Balkans" (in Spanish). 5 December 2019. Retrieved 7 December 2019.
- "Dani Olmo, best player of the Balkans of 2019". Time24.news. 6 December 2019. Retrieved 24 December 2019.