Cinderella (2021 film)
|Directed by||Kay Cannon|
|Written by||Kay Cannon|
by Charles Perrault
|Edited by||Stacey Schroeder|
|Distributed by||Amazon Studios|
Cinderella is a 2021 romantic musical film based on the fairy tale of the same name by Charles Perrault. Written and directed by Kay Cannon, it stars singer Camila Cabello as the title character in her acting debut, alongside Idina Menzel, Minnie Driver, Nicholas Galitzine, Billy Porter, and Pierce Brosnan. It is a jukebox musical, featuring pop and rock hits, in addition to several original songs.
Development on the film began in April 2019, when Columbia Pictures announced a musical-style film of Cinderella, with Cannon writing and directing. The film was produced by James Corden, through Fulwell 73 with Leo Pearlman, Jonathan Kadin, and Shannon McIntosh. Principal photography began in February 2020 at Pinewood Studios, and was suspended in March 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Production resumed in August 2020 and concluded in September 2020.
Cinderella is an ambitious young woman who wants to establish her shop "Dresses by Ella" one day in her patriarchal society. She catches the eye of Prince Robert in the guard-changing ceremony. The next day, the Prince, dressed as a commoner, goes to the market, where he finds Ella trying to sell her dress, and buys it from her. He later invites her to the ball being held two weeks later, with the promise of introducing her to various people from the world to sell her dresses to.
When the day arrives, Ella is getting ready when her stepmother, Vivian throws ink on her dress and tells her that only her stepsisters, Malvolia and Narissa can attend as eligible candidates, like Thomas, the vegetable merchant has already confirmed his desire for Ella's hand. Ella is sad, but her Fabulous Godmother magically appears and dresses her in a design of Ella's, with glass shoes, and turns mice into footmen and a crate into a carriage. Ella goes to the ball and meets a visiting queen, who offers to take her around the world as a dressmaker for her and asks to meet her the next day in the market square. Later the Prince finds Ella, shows his sister wearing the gown he bought from Ella previously and proposes to Ella. Ella refuses, however, as she wants to start her career. At the stroke of midnight, she leaves the hall after throwing her shoe at one of the King's attendants, who tries to catch her.
The next day, Vivian, knowing the truth that her stepdaughter is the mystery princess, tries to convince Ella to marry the Prince. When Ella refuses, Vivian gives her to Thomas. The Prince's mother, Queen Beatrice, helps his father, King Rowan, understand that it will be right to let the Prince marry a commoner. The Prince keeps searching for Ella and finds her running in the forest after she escapes from Thomas. They confess their love to each other as Ella and her prince kiss each other and reach the market in time to show her benefactor her designs, who accepts them and asks Ella to travel with her.
The Prince introduces Ella to the King and Queen and informs them of their decision to travel the world. The Prince knows this will ruin the plan for his future ascension to the throne, but the Queen smiles as the King proudly declare that their daughter, Princess Gwen (who has repeatedly shown an interest and ability in affairs of state), will now be first in line to the throne. Citizens of the kingdom gather to witness the ceremony announcing the Princess' position and that the Prince and Ella are in love.
- Camila Cabello as Cinderella
- Idina Menzel as Vivian
- Minnie Driver as Queen Beatrice
- Nicholas Galitzine as crown prince Robert
- Billy Porter as Fabulous Godmother
- Pierce Brosnan as King Rowan
- Maddie Baillio as Malvolia
- Charlotte Spencer as Narissa
- Rob Beckett as Thomas Cecil
- Tallulah Greive as Princess Gwen
- Doc Brown as Town crier
In April 2019, Columbia Pictures announced a musical retelling of "Cinderella", with Kay Cannon writing and directing. The idea to reinterpret "Cinderella" came from James Corden, who produced the film through Fulwell 73 with Leo Pearlman, Jonathan Kadin, and Shannon McIntosh.
In April 2019, Camila Cabello was attached in the role of Cinderella. In October 2019, it was announced that talks were underway with Idina Menzel as Cinderella's stepmother, and Billy Porter for the role of fairy godparent. In December 2019, Nicholas Galitzine was added to the cast as Prince Robert.
Principal photography began in February 2020 at Pinewood Studios in the United Kingdom. Filming was suspended in March 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Production resumed in August 2020 and concluded in September.
|Cinderella (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)|
|Soundtrack album by |
Cinderella Original Motion Picture Cast
|Released||September 3, 2021|
In April 2019, it was announced that Camila Cabello was working on the music for the film. In October, 2020, Idina Menzel confirmed that "[she and Camila] both have original songs as well." On August 2, 2021, it was announced by the director that the soundtrack would be released digitally on September 3, 2021.
The soundtrack was released by Epic Records in the United States, Columbia Records in the United Kingdom, and Sony Music Entertainment labels globally. "Million to One", performed by Camila Cabello, was released on July 21, 2021, as the first promotional single of the soundtrack. "Somebody to Love", performed by Nicholas Galitzine, was released on August 3, 2021 as an instant grant second promotional single, along with the pre-order for the album.
|1.||"Rhythm Nation / You Gotta Be" (Camila Cabello, Idina Menzel and cast)||4:37|
|2.||"Million to One" (Camila Cabello)||3:23|
|3.||"The New Barry" (Ben Bailey Smith)||0:54|
|4.||"Somebody to Love" (Nicholas Galitzine and cast)||Freddie Mercury||3:46|
|5.||"Material Girl" (Idina Menzel and cast)||2:20|
|6.||"Am I Wrong" (Camila Cabello, Nicholas Galitzine, Idina Menzel and cast)||3:23|
|7.||"Million to One (Reprise)" (Camila Cabello)||1:15|
|8.||"Shining Star" (Billy Porter and cast)||3:56|
|9.||"Whatta Man / Seven Nation Army" (Nicholas Galitzine and cast)||3:09|
|10.||"Perfect" (Camila Cabello and Nicholas Galitzine)||Ed Sheeran||3:07|
|11.||"Dream Girl" (Idina Menzel and cast)||2:58|
|12.||"Million to One / Could Have Been Me (Reprise)" (Camila Cabello and Nicholas Galitzine)||1:17|
|13.||"Let's Get Loud" (Camila Cabello, Nicholas Galitzine, Idina Menzel and cast)||5:29|
|14.||"Score Suite" (Mychael Danna and Jessica Weiss)||6:35|
|6.||"Shot at the Crown" (Ben Bailey Smith)||0:54|
|7.||"Am I Wrong" (Camila Cabello, Nicholas Galitzine, Idina Menzel and cast)||3:23|
|8.||"Million to One (Reprise)" (Camila Cabello)||1:15|
|9.||"Shining Star" (Billy Porter and cast)||3:56|
|10.||"Whatta Man / Seven Nation Army" (Nicholas Galitzine and cast)||3:09|
|11.||"Perfect" (Camila Cabello and Nicholas Galitzine)||Sheeran||3:07|
|12.||"Perfect (Reprise)" (Camila Cabello and Nicholas Galitzine)||Sheeran||1:18|
|13.||"Dream Girl" (Idina Menzel and cast)||2:58|
|14.||"Shoe Made of Glass" (Ben Bailey Smith)||1:14|
|15.||"Million to One / Could Have Been Me (Reprise)" (Camila Cabello and Nicholas Galitzine)||1:17|
|16.||"Let's Get Loud" (Camila Cabello, Nicholas Galitzine, Idina Menzel and cast)||5:29|
|17.||"Million to One (Remix)" (Camila Cabello)||3:23|
|18.||"Dream Girl (Nile Rodgers Remix)" (Idina Menzel and cast)||3:44|
|19.||"Score Suite" (Mychael Danna and Jessica Weiss)||6:35|
As part of the film's marketing, Amazon Prime Video partnered with Mercedes-Benz in August 2021. On August 9, Japanese shoes brand Onitsuka Tiger announced the release of a limited edition sneakers created in collaboration with Cinderella. On August 11, hair brand John Frieda announced a collaboration with Cinderella.
In June 2019, Sony scheduled the film for release February 5, 2021. In January 2021, the release date was pushed back to July 16, 2021. In May 2021, Sony cancelled the film's theatrical debut and announced that the film had been bought by Amazon Studios except China, Sony would also retain home entertainment and linear television rights to the film.
On review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds an approval rating of 43% based on 86 reviews, with an average rating of 5/10. The website's critics consensus reads, "This singalong-worthy Cinderella sprinkles some modern fairy dust on the oft-told tale, but flat performances and clunky dialogue make watching often feel like a chore." On Metacritic, it has a weighted average score of 43 out of 100 based on 28 critics, indicating "mixed or average reviews".
Richard Roeper of the Chicago Sun-Times gave the film 3 out of 4 stars and praised Cabello for her performance, saying "she has a real knack for comedy" and described the film as having an "upbeat, breezy and sentimental style, laced with some sharp humor and filled with familiar and catchy pop tunes refashioned to fit the storyline." Courtney Howard of Variety called it a "mediocre musical" and despite some praise for the innovation was critical of many of the creative choices, the inconsistent pacing, the character development, and said it felt both "underdeveloped and overstuffed" at the same time.
- "Cinderella". Writers Guild of America West. December 2, 2020. Retrieved May 26, 2021.
- Howard, Courtney (September 1, 2021). "'Cinderella' Review: Camila Cabello Shines in Progressive but Prosaic Reimagining of a Familiar Fairy Tale". Variety. Retrieved September 2, 2021.
- Adam Chitwood (September 3, 2021). "How to Watch 'Cinderella': Where to Stream the 2021 Update Starring Camila Cabello". Collider. Retrieved September 5, 2021.
- McClintock, Pamela (May 6, 2021). "Sony's 'Cinderella' Heads to Amazon, Bypassing Theaters". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved July 18, 2021.
- McNary, Dave (April 9, 2019). "Camila Cabello to Star in New 'Cinderella' Movie for Sony". Variety. Retrieved January 7, 2020.
- McNary, Dave (October 11, 2019). "Idina Menzel in Talks to Play Evil Stepmother in 'Cinderella'". Variety. Retrieved January 7, 2020.
- McNary, Dave (October 10, 2019). "'Pose' Star Billy Porter in Talks to Play Fairy Godmother in 'Cinderella'". Variety. Retrieved January 7, 2020.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (December 4, 2019). "Camila Cabello 'Cinderella' Finds Its Prince In UK Actor Nicholas Galitzine". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved January 7, 2020.
- Cannon, Kay (February 13, 2020). "Day 1 of shooting down. A gazillion more days to goooooooo! #director #writer #filmmaking". Instagram. Retrieved February 13, 2020.
- Tom Grater (March 16, 2020). "Sony's 'Cinderella' Musical UK Shoot Shut Down For Two Weeks Over Coronavirus". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved March 19, 2020.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (August 17, 2020). "Camila Cabello's 'Cinderella' Movie At Sony Heading Back To Production In UK After COVID-19 Shutdown". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved August 17, 2020.
- Cannon, Kay (September 29, 2020). "SAP POST: Tonight we wrapped our main unit on @cinderellamovieofficial. I just CANNOT express my love & gratitude enough to the cast & crew who helped finish this movie during a pandemic. It's not easy to pretend we're back to normal when we're not. A million thanks for all of your hard work & endless hours of mask wearing. Honestly, there's a few of you that I couldn't pick out of a lineup. Mostly, thank you for all the sacrifices you made so that we could film our jokes & songs... safely. We did it! I am filled with pride. I will never forget you nor this experience. I am forever changed. ❤️". Instagram. Retrieved September 29, 2020.
- Janelle Okwodu (August 25, 2021). "Camila Cabello And Billy Porter's Reimagined 'Cinderella' Is A High Fashion Fairytale". British Vogue.
- Menzel, Idina [@idinamenzel] (October 25, 2020). "Oooh. A bunch! @Camila_Cabello is extraordinary. We both have original songs as well" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- Kay Cannon [@KayKayCannon] (August 2, 2021). "So proud of our soundtrack. Please note a correction: The hilarious @JamesAcastor stars alongside @JKCorden & @RomeshRanga, playing one of the three footmen/mice" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- "Cinderella Soundtrack Album Details | Film Music Reporter". Film Music Reporter. Retrieved August 2, 2021.
Epic Records will release a soundtrack album for the musical comedy Cinderella. The soundtrack will be released digitally on September 3.
- "Cinderella (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) by Cinderella Original Motion Picture Cast: Amazon.co.uk: CDs & Vinyl". UK. Retrieved August 3, 2021 – via Amazon.
Label : Columbia
- "Million to One by Camila Cabello on TIDAL". Epic Records. 2021. Retrieved August 3, 2021 – via Tidal.
- "Somebody to Love by Nicholas Galitzine on TIDAL". Epic Records. Retrieved August 3, 2021 – via Tidal.
- "Cinderella (Soundtrack from the Amazon Original Movie) by Cinderella Original Motion Picture Cast on Apple Music". September 3, 2021. Retrieved August 3, 2021 – via Apple Music.
- Guzik, Jon Alain (August 2, 2021). "Amazon Partners with Mercedes-Benz and Camila Cabello on 'Cinderella' Campaign (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved August 3, 2021.
- "Onitsuka Tiger announces collaboration sneakers with the new interpretation of the glass shoe movie "Cinderella", which is inspired by the next-generation Cinderella statue and does not care about gender or age". Japan News. August 9, 2021. Retrieved August 11, 2021.
- "John Frieda Ireland on Instagram". Instagram. August 11, 2021. Retrieved August 12, 2021.
- Guttmann, Graeme (June 30, 2021). "Cinderella Teaser Trailer Reveals First Footage From New 2021 Musical". Screen Rant. Retrieved June 30, 2021.
- "'Cinderella' premiere in L.A." New York Daily News. August 31, 2021. Retrieved September 1, 2021.
- Holender, Samantha (August 31, 2021). "Fairy Tale Fashion! See What the Stars Wore to the 'Cinderella' Red Carpet: Photos". US Weekly. Retrieved September 1, 2021.
- Nissen, Dano (June 9, 2019). "'Cinderella' Musical Comedy, Kevin Hart's 'Fatherhood' Get Release Dates". Variety. Retrieved January 7, 2020.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (January 21, 2021). "Sony's Camila Cabello 'Cinderella' Dances To Summer, 'Ghostbusters: Afterlife' To Fall, 'Uncharted' Eyes 2022 & More". Deadline. Retrieved January 23, 2021.
- Fleming, Mike Jr. (May 6, 2021). "Amazon To Premiere Camila Cabello Screen Debut 'Cinderella' In Deal With Sony Pictures". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved May 6, 2021.
- Shanfeld, Ethan (May 13, 2021). "'Cinderella': First Look Images Include Camila Cabello and Nicholas Galitzine for Musical Due in September". Variety. Retrieved May 13, 2021.
- "Cinderella". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango Media. Retrieved September 3, 2021.
- "Cinderella". Metacritic. Red Ventures. Retrieved September 3, 2021.
- Roeper, Richard (September 1, 2021). "'Cinderella': Upbeat take on the fairy tale transforms Camila Cabelo into a movie star". Chicago Sun-Times. Retrieved September 2, 2021.