Abdirahman Mohamed Abdullahi
Speaker of the House of Representatives of Somaliland
Top 6 Abdirahman Mohamed Abdullahi related articles
Abdirahman Mohamed Abdullahi
عبد الرحمن محمد عبد الله
|4th Speaker of the Somaliland House of Representatives|
November 2005 – 2 August 2017
|Preceded by||Ahmed Mohamed Adan|
|Succeeded by||Bashe Mohamed Farah|
|Chairman of Waddani|
|Assumed office |
|Preceded by||Position established|
|Born||24 April 1955|
Hargeisa, British Somaliland (now Somaliland)
|Political party||Justice and Welfare Party (until 2010)|
Waddani (since 2012)
|Alma mater||SOS Sheikh Secondary School|
American University (MBA)
Abdirahman Mohamed Abdullahi (Somali: Cabdiraxmaan Maxamed Cabdillaahi Cirro, Arabic: عبد الرحمن محمد عبد الله) (born 24 April 1955), also known as Irro, is a Somaliland politician, who served as speaker of Somaliland House of Representatives (lower chamber) of the first-elected parliament. He was elected to the position in November 2005 and served until August 2017. Abdullahi also previously co-founded the Justice and Welfare (UCID) party. He is likewise the founder and chairman of the Waddani party.
Professionally, Abdullahi worked at the Settlement Development Agency (Dan-wadaagaha) in different parts of Somalia. From 1981, he took on a position in the foreign service of the Somali Democratic Republic. Abdullahi also served in the Somali Embassy as the first consular in Moscow, which covered the entire Soviet Union. In 1991, he was re-appointed as Somalia's acting Ambassador to the Soviet Union. In this capacity, Abdullahi assisted the many Somali expatriates who had left Somalia following outbreak of the civil war. He later relocated to Finland in 1996 to join his family, who had moved there a few years prior, and subsequently received Finnish citizenship.
In 2002, Abdullahi jointly formed the For Justice and Development (UCID) political party with Faysal Ali Warabe, a political association aimed at assisting in the reconstruction process in Somaliland. He was subsequently elected in the 2005 Somaliland parliamentary election to represent the UCID party in Sahil.
The UCID political party was the first opposition party formally formed in Somaliland after the ruling UDUB party, while other politicians generally focused their opposition against the region's incumbent Egal administration (AHN). UCID also supported the referendum which put the foundation for the multi-party system, a process which many politicians have opposed and saw favouring Egal (AHN).
2005 Somaliland parliamentary election
Somaliland held elections to an 82-member House of Representatives on 29 September 2005. It was the first multi-party parliamentary election conducted in Somaliland since 1991, when the civil war began.
2017 Somaliland presidential election
The 2017 Somaliland presidential election was the third direct presidential election since 2003, held nominally on 13 November 2017. The result was a victory for ruling Kulmiye party candidate Muse Bihi Abdi, who received 55% of the vote. Muse Bihi Abdi defeated Abdirahman Mohammed Abdullahi.
Abdirahman Mohamed Abdullahi Career articles: 14
- Anderson, Mark (2 February 2012). "Somaliland says new laws show intent to fight piracy". Reuters Africa. Retrieved 20 July 2012.
- "Somalia: Parliament Votes to Attend Conference in London". AllAfrica. 2 May 2012. Retrieved 20 July 2012.
- "SOMALIA: Who's who in Somaliland politics". IRIN Africa. UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs. 16 September 2009. Retrieved 21 July 2012.
- The Europa World Year Book 2007. Taylor & Francis Group. 2007. p. 4060. ISBN 978-1857434149.
- Abdurahman Mohamed Ahmed. "Political system and parties in Somaliland". The African Star. Archived from the original on 25 November 2010. Retrieved 21 July 2012.
- "About Waddani". Xisbiga Waddani. 1 August 2017. Retrieved 20 June 2020.
- "Candidates". Xisbiga Waddani. 20 August 2017. Retrieved 20 June 2020.
- "Irro's Biography". Qarannews. 20 February 2014. Archived from the original on 9 March 2014. Retrieved 23 February 2014.
- "Espoolainen "Hyeena" ja vantaalainen "Valkohapsi" kamppailevat valinnasta Somalimaan presidentiksi – entiset kämppäkaverit riitautuivat valtapelissä tappouhkausten partaalle". HS.fi (in Finnish). 13 November 2017. Retrieved 13 November 2017.
- "A Vote for Peace: How Somaliland Successfully Hosted its First Parliamentary elections in 35 Years". Africa Portal. 31 August 2005. Retrieved 20 June 2020.
- Dr. Abdiwahab A. Iidaan (20 February 2014). "Who is Mr. Abdirahman Irro". Qarannews. Archived from the original on 9 March 2014. Retrieved 23 February 2014.
- "House of Representatives History". Republic of Somaliland. 28 March 2012. Archived from the original on 7 July 2012. Retrieved 24 July 2012.
- "UNSOM CONGRATULATES MR. MUSE BIHI ABDI ON HIS ELECTION AS PRESIDENT OF "SOMALILAND"". UNSOM. Retrieved 18 April 2020.