Feed your curiousity on infoAnew with information-rich content updated everyday.
1982 Liberation Memorial
Top 10 1982 Liberation Memorial Wikipedia+ articles
|1982 Liberation Memorial|
|For the British Forces and supporting units that served in the Falkland War|
|Unveiled||14 June 1984|
|Designed by||Gerald Dixon, David Norris|
The 1982 Liberation Memorial is a war memorial in Stanley, Falkland Islands. It commemorates all British Forces and supporting units that served in the Falklands War and helped liberate the Falkland Islanders from Argentine military occupation in 1982. The Memorial is situated in front of the Secretariat Building, overlooking Stanley Harbour. The funds for the Memorial were raised entirely by Falkland Islanders and it was unveiled by the Governor of the Falkland Islands, Sir Rex Hunt, on Liberation Day (14 June) 1984, the second anniversary of the end of the war.
1982 Liberation Memorial Videos
The Memorial consists of an obelisk on the front of which is the coat of arms of the Falkland Islands surrounded by a laurel wreath above the words "In Memory of Those Who Liberated Us" and the date the war ended; "14 June 1982". On top of the obelisk is a bronze figure of Britannia, the female personification of the island of Great Britain. On the back and sides of the Memorial are the lists of the British Army regiments, RAF squadrons, Royal Navy vessels and the Royal Marine formations and units that took part in the conflict. The names of the 255 British military personnel who died during the war are listed on ten plaques behind the Memorial, divided into the service branches. Directly behind the Memorial is a relief depicting famous moments during the war.
The Memorial was designed by Falklands-born architect Gerald Dixon and the bronze figure of Britannia was sculptured by David Norris.
1982 Liberation Memorial Design Articles 14
Services are held at the Memorial each year on 14 June (Liberation Day) and on Remembrance Sunday, the closest Sunday to 11 November (Armistice Day), with wreaths being laid at the foot of the Memorial.
1982 Liberation Memorial Usage Articles 5
- "1982 Liberation Memorial - Things to Do in the Falkland Islands". www.falklandislands.com. Retrieved 14 February 2018.
- Agency (2015). "Margaret Thatcher statue unveiled in the Falklands". ISSN 0307-1235. Retrieved 14 February 2018.
- "Commemorations for 35th anniversary of Liberation Day held in Falklands". MercoPress. Retrieved 14 February 2018.
- "Falklands Observance of Remembrance Day on Sunday 12 November". MercoPress. Retrieved 14 February 2018.
- "Falklands' issues Crown coin on 35th anniversary of Liberation Day". MercoPress. Retrieved 14 February 2018.
- "Falkland Collectibles - Falkland Conflict". www.falklandcollectibles.com. Retrieved 14 February 2018.