1979–80 Tampa Bay Rowdies indoor season
- 1 Overview
- 2 Club
- 3 Regular season
- 4 Playoffs
- 5 Statistics
- 6 Player movement
- 7 See also
- 8 References
- 9 External links
|1979–80 indoor season|
|Top goalscorer||League: |
|Highest home attendance||6,243|
(Feb. 1 vs. Tea Men)
|Lowest home attendance||5,262|
(Dec. 15 vs. Chiefs)
|Average home league attendance||5,910|
1979–80 Tampa Bay Rowdies indoor season Intro articles: 2
The 1979–80 indoor season was the Tampa Bay Rowdies' sixth season of existence, and their sixth season of indoor play. As in previous years, all home games were played at the Bayfront Center in St. Petersburg, Florida. It was the first fully sanctioned indoor season in the North American Soccer League’s history and Tampa Bay lost only once at home. The Rowdies finished second in the Eastern Division, and qualified for the playoffs with an 8–4 record. They won five of six matches in the playoffs en route to winning the Eastern Division crown, the NASL indoor championship, and a 13–5 overall finish. Yugoslavian, Petar Baralić led the club with 21 goals in the regular season, and 23 across all competitions.
The Rowdies completely dismantled Detroit in the first round with a 12–1 victory. In the Eastern Division championship series they swept top-seeded Atlanta, 7–3 and 6–5. In the Championship finals Memphis took the first game, by a count of 5–4. Tampa Bay stormed back on the return leg, 10–4, to set up a tiebreaker. Peter Anderson scored the only goal of the deciding mini-game to give the NASL indoor title to the Rowdies. South African, Steve Wegerle led the team in the postseason with 11 goals. While presenting the championship trophy to Rowdies captain Jan van der Veen, NASL commissioner Phil Woosnam said, “It was only fitting, because Tampa Bay was instrumental in the development of indoor soccer.”
1979–80 Tampa Bay Rowdies indoor season Overview articles: 10
Management and technical staff
George W. Strawbridge, Jr., owner
Chas Serednesky, Jr., general manager
Gordon Jago , head coach
Keith Peacock, assistant coach
Ken Shields, trainer
Alfredo Beronda, equipment manager
1979–80 Tampa Bay Rowdies indoor season Club articles: 6
W = Wins, L = Losses, GB = Games Behind 1st Place, % = Winning Percentage, GF = Goals For, GA = Goals Against, Avg Att = Average Home Attendance
|Eastern Division||W||L||GB||%||GF||GA||Avg Att|
|Tampa Bay Rowdies||8||4||2||.667||75||64||5,910|
|Fort Lauderdale Strikers||3||9||7||.250||58||65||1,724|
|New England Tea Men||2||10||8||.167||52||81||3,249|
|November 27, 1979||Fort Lauderdale Strikers||A||4–6||2,834||Anderson (2), Baralic (2), Van der Veen (2)|
|December 3, 1979||Atlanta Chiefs||A||5–4(OT)||6,144||Baralic (2), McLeod (2)|
|December 7, 1979||Detroit Express||H||11–7||5,910||Van der Veen (4), Wark (3), Auguste, Gorman, Baralic, McLeod|
|December 15, 1979||Atlanta Chiefs||H||6–2||5,262||Baralic (2), Wark, McLeod, Anderson, Quriashi|
|December 22, 1979||New England Tea Men||H||5–4||5,675||Baralic (2), Anderson, Gorman, Connell|
|December 28, 1979||New England Tea Men||A||6–8||3,310||Baralic (2), Wegerle (2), McLeod, Wark, Van der Veen, Anderson|
|January 2, 1980||Atlanta Chiefs||A||3–2||5,425||McLeod (2)|
|January 12, 1980||Fort Lauderdale Strikers||H||6–5||6,243||Baralic (2), McLeod (2), Anderson, Gorman|
|January 22, 1980||Detroit Express||A||5–4(OT)||3,787||Fabbiani, Baralic, Wark, Anderson|
|February 1, 1980||New England Tea Men||H||7–6(OT)||6,223||McLeod (3), Baralic (3), Connell|
|February 6, 1980||Fort Lauderdale Strikers||A||8–10||1,468||Fabbiani (4), Wegerle (2), Auguste, McLeod, Van der Beck, Baralic|
|February 10, 1980||Detroit Express||H||6–9||6,145||Baralic (3), Fabbiani, Van der Beck, Wegerle|
1979–80 Tampa Bay Rowdies indoor season Regular season articles: 3
|E2||Tampa Bay Rowdies||12||x||x||E2||Tampa Bay Rowdies||7||6(OT)||-|
|E3||Detroit Express||1||x||x||E2||Tampa Bay Rowdies||4||10||1|
|W2||Minnesota Kicks||3||x||x||W2||Minnesota Kicks||6||3||0|
|February 19, 1980||Detroit Express||H||12–1||4,880||Fabbiani (3), Wegerle (3), McLeod (2), Connell, Baralic, Gorman, Anderson|
|February 23, 1980||Atlanta Chiefs||H||7–3||5,545||Wegerle (4), Fabbiani (2), Gorman|
|February 25, 1980||Atlanta Chiefs||A||5–6(OT)||6,141||McLeod (2), Wegerle (2), Baralic, Quraishi|
|February 29, 1980||Memphis Rogues (Finals)||A||5–4||9,081||Fabbiani (2), Wegerle, Van der Beck|
|March 2, 1980||Memphis Rogues (Finals)||H||10–4||5,545||Van der Beck (2), Connell (2), Fabbiani (2), Anderson (2), Wegerle, McLeod|
|March 2, 1980||Memphis Rogues (Finals)||H||1–0||(Mini-game)||Anderson|
GP = Games Played, G = Goals (worth 2 points), A = Assists (worth 1 point), Pts = Points
|Perry Van der Beck||6||3||4||10|
1979–80 Tampa Bay Rowdies indoor season Playoffs articles: 9
GP = Games Played, G = Goals (worth 2 points), A = Assists (worth 1 point), Pts = Points, Pen = Penalty Minutes
|Jan van der Veen||8||7||7||21||4|
|Perry Van der Beck||9||2||2||6||6|
Note: GP = Games played; Min = Minutes played; GA = Goals against; GAA = Goals against average; W = Wins; L = Losses
1979–80 Tampa Bay Rowdies indoor season Statistics articles: 6
- "Indoor Returning, Officially This Time". Evening Independent. September 28, 1979. p. 4-C. Retrieved January 4, 2017.
- Scheiber, Dave (November 27, 1979). "Rowdies-Strikers indoors". St. Petersburg Times. p. 3C. Retrieved June 28, 2017.
- Scheiber, Dave (February 11, 1980). "Detroit tops Rowdies in a wild one". St. Petersburg Times. p. 1C. Retrieved June 28, 2017.
- Brockman, John (February 26, 1980). "Rowdies Indoor Champions". Sarasota Herald-Tribune. p. 1-C. Retrieved June 28, 2017.
- Brockman, John (February 11, 1980). "Express Roughs Up Rowdies In Season Finale". Sarasota Herald-Tribune. p. 1-C. Retrieved June 28, 2017.
- Beard, Randy (February 20, 1980). "Rowdies Took Sermon To Heart". Evening Independent. p. 1-C. Retrieved June 28, 2017.
- Curtis, Jim (February 24, 1980). "Rowdies Boot Chiefs 7-3". Sarasota Herald-Tribune. p. 1-C. Retrieved June 28, 2017.
- Beard, Randy (February 26, 1980). "Rowdies Didn't Slip". Evening Independent. p. 1-C. Retrieved June 28, 2017.
- Scheiber, Dave (March 1, 1980). "Rowdies fall 5–4, must win Sunday". St. Petersburg Times. p. 1C. Retrieved June 28, 2017.
- Scheiber, Dave (March 3, 1980). "Rowdies slam to No. 1". St. Petersburg Times. p. 1C. Retrieved June 28, 2017.
- Beard, Randy (March 3, 1980). "Rowdies are No. 1". Evening Independent. p. 1-C. Retrieved June 28, 2017.
- "Anderson's goal gives Rowdies Title". Lakeland Ledger. March 3, 1980. p. 1D. Retrieved June 28, 2017.