👼 Set your curiosity free with richer, more connected information.

1972 FA Cup Final

Top 3 1972 FA Cup Final related articles

1972 FA Cup Final
Event1971–72 FA Cup
Date6 May 1972
VenueWembley Stadium, London
RefereeDavid Smith (Stonehouse)

The 1972 FA Cup Final took place on 6 May 1972 at Wembley Stadium. It was the centenary final (although only the 91st final due to world wars) and the 44th to be played at Wembley.

It was contested between cup holders Arsenal, who had won the Football League and the FA Cup the previous season, and Leeds United, who had won the Inter-Cities Fairs Cup and finished second in the league the previous season, but had never won the FA Cup.

Arsenal planned to make it the third successive decade for a club to return as Cup-holders and win for a second successive year, as Newcastle United had done in 1952 and Tottenham Hotspur in 1962.

This final is the origin of the song "Leeds! Leeds! Leeds!" (commonly known as "Marching On Together"), which was the B-side of Leeds's Cup Final record. The song is still played by United and other Leeds sports teams.

1972 FA Cup Final Intro articles: 6

Road to Wembley

Leeds United

Home teams listed first.

Round 3: Leeds United 4–1 Bristol Rovers

Round 4: Liverpool 0–0 Leeds United

Replay: Leeds United 2–0 Liverpool

Round 5: Cardiff City 0–2 Leeds United


Round 6: Leeds United 2–1 Tottenham Hotspur

Semi-final: Leeds United 3–0 Birmingham City

(at Hillsborough Stadium, Sheffield)


Home teams listed first.

Round 3: Swindon Town 0–2 Arsenal

Round 4: Reading 1 –2 Arsenal


Round 5: Derby County 2–2 Arsenal

Replay: Arsenal 0–0 Derby County
2nd Replay: Arsenal 1–0 Derby County (at Filbert Street)

Round 6: Leyton Orient 0–1 Arsenal

Semi-final: Stoke City 1–1 Arsenal

(at Villa Park, Birmingham)
Replay: Arsenal 2–1 Stoke City
(at Goodison Park, Everton)

1972 FA Cup Final Road to Wembley articles: 15

Match summary

The Leeds duo Mick Jones and Allan 'Sniffer' Clarke combined to produce a goal in the fifty-third minute. Jones sent across a hard, shoulder-high centre and Clarke headed powerfully past Arsenal keeper Geoff Barnett's left hand from fifteen yards.

A match that often fell below the highest level began badly with a foul by Clarke on Alan Ball in the first five seconds and the first of four bookings — Bob McNab bringing down Peter Lorimer as early as the second minute. Neither side played consistently up to their capabilities, yet both had their moments. Charlie George's fierce volley cannoned back off the bar for Arsenal, and both Clarke and Lorimer struck the woodwork for Leeds.

Leeds' jubilation at the end was tempered by a last-minute injury to Mick Jones, who dislocated his elbow and had to be helped up the steps by Norman Hunter to receive his winners' medal.

1972 FA Cup Final Match summary articles: 8

Match facts

Leeds United1–0Arsenal
Clarke  53' (Report)
Attendance: 100,000
Referee: David Smith
Leeds United
GK 1 David Harvey
RB 2 Paul Reaney
LB 3 Paul Madeley
MF 4 Billy Bremner (c)
CB 5 Jack Charlton
CB 6 Norman Hunter
RW 7 Peter Lorimer
FW 8 Allan Clarke
FW 9 Mick Jones
MF 10 Johnny Giles
LW 11 Eddie Gray
MF 12 Mick Bates
Don Revie
GK 1 Geoff Barnett
RB 2 Pat Rice
LB 3 Bob McNab
MF 4 Peter Storey
CB 5 Frank McLintock (c)
CB 6 Peter Simpson
MF 7 George Armstrong
MF 8 Alan Ball
FW 9 Charlie George
FW 10 John Radford  73'
MF 11 George Graham
FW 12 Ray Kennedy  73'
Bertie Mee

Match rules

  • 90 minutes.
  • 30 minutes of extra-time if necessary.
  • Replay if scores still level.
  • One named substitute.

External links