1969 British Grand Prix
Formula One motor race held in 1969
Top 3 1969 British Grand Prix related articles
|1969 British Grand Prix|
The Silverstone Circuit (1952-1974)
|Date||19 July 1969|
|Official name||XXII RAC British Grand Prix|
|Location||Silverstone Circuit, Northamptonshire and Buckinghamshire, England|
|Course||Permanent racing facility|
|Course length||4.711 km (2.927 mi)|
|Distance||84 laps, 395.724 km (245.891 mi)|
|Time||1:21.3 on lap 57|
The 1969 British Grand Prix was a Formula One motor race held at the Silverstone Circuit on 19 July 1969. It was race 6 of 11 in both the 1969 World Championship of Drivers and the 1969 International Cup for Formula One Manufacturers. Jackie Stewart was victorious, as he lapped the entire field and took his fifth win in six races.
The race developed as a contest between Stewart and Rindt who constantly overtook each other by slipstreaming. It was on one of these occasions towards the end when Stewart signalled to Rindt as he drew alongside that the end plate of his rear wing had come loose and was fouling the left-rear tyre each time Rindt flung his Lotus through a fast right-hander. Rindt was able to confirm this in his mirror and was forced to pit. However, his team failed to put enough fuel into the car to enable him to finish the race and consequently he was obliged to make a further stop.
1969 British Grand Prix Intro articles: 1
||Brabham-Ford||83||+ 1 Lap||4||6|
||McLaren-Ford||83||+ 1 Lap||7||4|
||Lotus-Ford||83||+ 1 Lap||1||3|
||Brabham-Ford||83||+ 1 Lap||10||2|
||McLaren-Ford||82||+ 2 Laps||11||1|
||Lotus-Ford||82||+ 2 Laps||12|
||Lotus-Ford||81||+ 3 Laps||9|
||Matra-Ford||78||+ 6 Laps||17|
||Lotus-Ford||75||+ 9 Laps||14|
Championship standings after the race
- Note: Only the top five positions are included for both sets of standings. Only the best 5 results from the first 6 rounds and the best 4 results from the last 5 rounds counted towards the Championship. Numbers without parentheses are Championship points; numbers in parentheses are total points scored.
1969 British Grand Prix Classification articles: 9
- Stewart in TalkSport radio interview 02/07/15
- Hamilton, Maurice (2 July 2014). "1969: The greatest British Grand Prix?". ESPN. Retrieved 5 July 2015.
- "1969 British Grand Prix". formula1.com. Archived from the original on 9 January 2015. Retrieved 22 December 2015.
- "Britain 1969 - Championship • STATS F1". www.statsf1.com. Retrieved 13 March 2019.
1969 French Grand Prix
|FIA Formula One World Championship
1969 German Grand Prix
1968 British Grand Prix
|British Grand Prix||Next race:|
1970 British Grand Prix