1934 FIFA World Cup Final
Association football match
Top 3 1934 FIFA World Cup Final related articles
The Stadio Nazionale PNF held the final
|Event||1934 FIFA World Cup|
|After extra time|
|Date||10 June 1934|
|Venue||Stadio Nazionale PNF, Rome|
|Referee||Ivan Eklind (Sweden)|
The 1934 FIFA World Cup Final was the second edition of the football quadrennial tournament match contested by the men's national teams of FIFA to determine the 1934 FIFA World Cup champions: Italy and Czechoslovakia. It took place on 10 June 1934 at the Stadio Nazionale PNF in Rome, Italy.
Italy came back from a one goal deficit to win the match 2–1 despite temperatures approaching 40 °C (104 °F).
1934 FIFA World Cup Final Intro articles: 5
Uruguay boycotted the 1934 edition due to the lack of European teams in the previous tournament and Argentina was eliminated in the first round of the tournament by Sweden, assured that a previous team would not be defending their title.
This was the debut for each team in the FIFA World Cup. This was the eleventh contest between the two teams, their immediate previous match being at the 1933–35 Central European International Cup held in Florence, Italy; Italy prevailed 2-0. This leveled the head to head in the World Cup match to three all with four draws.
1934 FIFA World Cup Final Background articles: 8
Route to the final
Czechoslovakia took the lead with 19 minutes remaining through Antonín Puč. They held the lead for only 10 minutes as Italy drew level through striker Raimundo Orsi. Without any additional goals in regulation, the match was forced to go into the inaugural instance of a World Cup final extra time. With five minutes play, Italy took the lead with a goal from Angelo Schiavio; they held on for the victory.
1934 FIFA World Cup Final Route to the final articles: 34
- Kelly, Jon (25 February 2015). "What happened to the Qatar World Cup's cooling technology?". BBC. Retrieved 4 June 2015.
- "František Plánička: Slávny brankár chytal aj so zlomeným lakt'om!". Život (in Slovak). 30 May 2009. Archived from the original on 14 July 2015. Retrieved 11 July 2015.
- Freddi 2006:20
- "FIFA World Cup: Milestones, facts & figures. Statistical Kit 7" (PDF). FIFA. 26 March 2013. Archived from the original (PDF) on 21 May 2013.
- "Italy-Czech Republic/Czechoslovakia matches 1922-2013". 21 December 2017. Retrieved 20 April 2019.
- 1934 FIFA World Cup Final at Planet World Cup