1927 Wimbledon Championships
47th staging of the Wimbledon Championships
Top 10 1927 Wimbledon Championships related articles
|1927 Wimbledon Championships|
|Date||20 June – 2 July|
London, United Kingdom
|Venue||All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club|
The 1927 Wimbledon Championships took place on the outdoor grass courts at the All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club in Wimbledon, London, United Kingdom. The tournament was held from Monday 20 June until Saturday 2 July 1927. It was the 47th staging of the Wimbledon Championships, and the third Grand Slam tennis event of 1927.
This was the first Wimbledon Championships where the draw used a merit-based seeding of ranked players to prevent the top players from meeting each other in the early rounds. Eight players were seeded in both the men's and women's singles and four pairs in the double. The seeding was done according to the ranking of the players in their own countries. René Lacoste and Helen Wills were the first no.1 seeded singles players. Since the 1924 Championships a seeding based on nationality was used to prevent nominated players from the same nationality to meet before the later rounds.
Another innovation that year was the installation of a microphone and loudspeakers on Centre Court to broadcast the calls of the umpire. A special footfault judge was introduced for the centre court and court no.1. The BBC first began radio broadcast of the tournament this year, with the first radio broadcast taking place on 29 June and diffused on 2LO. Only matches on Centre Court were covered in the first year, with Teddy Wakelam providing commentary for the BBC.
1927 Wimbledon Championships Intro articles: 2
1927 Wimbledon Championships Champions articles: 20
- Little, Alan (2013). Wimbledon Compendium 2013 (23 ed.). London: All England Lawn Tennis & Croquet Club. p. 127. ISBN 978-1899039401.
- "'Seed' Drawings for Tennis Meet". The Telegraph–Herald and Times-Journal. 15 June 1927. p. 8 – via Google News Archive.
- "Lawn tennis". The West Australian. Perth. 17 June 1927. p. 15 – via National Library of Australia.
- "Wimbledon adopts seeded draw, to be based solely on merit". The New York Times. 1 June 1927.
- "Seeding the draw". The Glasgow Herald. 14 June 1955. p. 4 – via Google News Archive.
- "Sporting cables". The West Australian. Perth. 12 December 1923. p. 9 – via National Library of Australia.
- "The game of tennis". The Sunday Times. Perth. 2 October 1927. p. 47 – via National Library of Australia.
- Escolme, John. "Wimbledon and the BBC 1927 to 2017". bbc.co.uk. BBC. Retrieved 29 July 2017.
- "Gentlemen's Singles Finals 1877-2017". wimbledon.com. Wimbledon Championships. Retrieved 22 July 2017.
- "Ladies' Singles Finals 1884-2017". wimbledon.com. Wimbledon Championships. Retrieved 22 July 2017.
- "Gentlemen's Doubles Finals 1884-2017". wimbledon.com. Wimbledon Championships. Retrieved 22 July 2017.
- "Ladies' Doubles Finals 1913-2017". wimbledon.com. Wimbledon Championships. Retrieved 22 July 2017.
- "Mixed Doubles Finals 1913-2017". wimbledon.com. Wimbledon Championships. Retrieved 22 July 2017.
1927 French Championships
|Grand Slams||Succeeded by|
1927 U.S. National Championships