12 Step Program (album)
Album by People Under the Stairs
Top 3 12 Step Program (album) related articles
|12 Step Program|
|Studio album by|
|Released||May 6, 2014|
|Recorded||2013-2014, Los Angeles, California|
|Label||PL70 Records, PUTS Records|
|Producer||Thes One, Double K|
|People Under the Stairs chronology|
|Singles from 12 Step Program|
12 Step Program (also stylized as 12SP) is the ninth album by the People Under the Stairs. It is the second album entirely self-distributed using Thes One's artist-cooperative label, Piecelock 70, and it is also the group's shortest record to be marketed as a full-length album upon its release. (The group's fifth album, ...Or Stay Tuned, while shorter, was initially marketed as an EP.) 12 Step Program is also the group's first album since their second album, Question in the Form of an Answer, that uses only samples and no live instrumentation.
Despite not having a physical release, the track "1 Up Til Sun Up" was the lead single from the album. A music video for the song was released on April 7, 2014, the same day that iTunes debuted the song and began accepting pre-orders for 12 Step Program.
Upon the album release, PUTS embarked on a North American tour in support of the album, with plans to visit other countries later in the year.
12 Step Program (album) Intro articles: 2
People Under the Stairs recorded most of the album in Los Angeles at their home studios in between tour dates in late 2013 and early 2014. On January 28, 2014, Thes One announced on social media that People Under the Stairs' ninth full-length album would be titled 12 Step Program.
Overview of "South by Southwest" article
Release and reception
Recognizing the current dominance of digital music and the growing trend away from physical media, only a limited number of LP records, cassette tapes and compact discs were produced for 12 Step Program. The album itself has an orange and blue color scheme, which carried over to the double-record set, which includes one orange and one blue translucent vinyl and a large 24-page booklet, as well as the cassette tape (a first for PUTS), produced in translucent blue with orange lettering.
A week before the album's release on May 6, 2014, pre-orders for the physical copies were announced on the band's official website, and over the next 24 hours, the website's server crashed 4 times due to eager fans attempts to obtain the album. The earliest crashes even delayed the album's release for nearly half a day.
Album reviews have been positive. Allmusic highly recommends the album and calls "every sample perfectly placed and every rhyme on point", while HipHopSite.com calls 12 Step Program "smoothly produced" with "many moments of subtle brilliance".
Overview of "Allmusic" article
All songs written by Christopher "Thes One" Portugal and Michael "Double K" Turner.
|2.||"Ste. For Reefer"||7:10|
|3.||"1 Up Til Sun Up"||3:59|
|4.||"Cool Story Bro"||4:17|
|8.||"Pictures On My Wall"||4:37|
|10.||"Yes I Can"||2:34|
|11.||"Umbrellas (God Forgive Me)"||4:00|
- 12 Step Program at AllMusic
- Pizzo (2014-05-21). "People Under The Stairs – "12 Step Program" (Review)". HipHopSite.com. Retrieved 2014-06-13.
- Johnson, Thomas (2014-06-02). "People Under The Stairs: 12 Step Program (Album Review)". KevinNottingham.com. Archived from the original on 2014-06-05. Retrieved 2014-06-13.
- "People Under The Stairs - 1 Up Til Sun Up". YouTube. 2014-04-07. Retrieved 2014-04-11.
- 12 Step Program announced on Instagram
- "Untapped Fest Announces Fort Worth Location and Full Lineup". Spune. 2014-01-24. Archived from the original on 2014-03-08. Retrieved 2014-03-07.
- "People Under The Stairs". SXSW. February 2014. Retrieved 2014-03-07.
- "Well, I tried. It's a wrap. No LP today."
- 12 Step Program iTunes chart screen capture
- People Under The Stairs on the Billboard charts