125th Anniversary of the Confederation of Canada Medal
Canadian jubilee medal
Top 10 125th Anniversary of the Confederation of Canada Medal related articles
|125th Anniversary of the Confederation of Canada Medal|
|Awarded by the|
monarch of Canada
|Awarded for||Significant contributions to fellow citizens, to their community, or to Canada|
|Status||No longer awarded|
|Established||7 May 1992|
|Next (higher)||Queen Elizabeth II Silver Jubilee Medal|
|Next (lower)||Queen Elizabeth II Golden Jubilee Medal|
The 125th Anniversary of the Confederation of Canada Medal (French: Médaille commémorative du 125e anniversaire de la Confédération du Canada) is a commemorative medal struck by the Royal Canadian Mint to commemorate the 125th anniversary of the Confederation of Canada and was awarded to Canadians who were deemed to have made a significant contribution to their fellow citizens, to their community, or to Canada. Nominations were submitted to lieutenant governors and territorial commissioners, senators, members of parliament, provincial governments, the Public Service Commission of Canada, the Canadian Forces, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, and various federal government departments, as well as organizations throughout the country, and some 42,000 medals were awarded.
The medal's design was approved by the Canadian monarch, Elizabeth II. It is in the form of a 36 millimetres (1.4 in) diameter, rhodium plated copper and zinc alloy disc with, on the obverse, the image of the Royal Cypher surmounted by a St. Edward's Crown (symbolising the sovereign as fount of honour) all superimposed on a large single maple leaf and circumscribed with the words CONFEDERATION • CONFÉDÉRATION above and the years 1867 — 1992 below. The medal's reverse shows the shield of the Royal Arms of Canada encircled by the motto ribbon of the Order of Canada and ensigned by the crest of the Canadian arms (a crowned lion holding a maple leaf in the right front paw), all above the country's national motto, A MARI USQUE AD MARE. This medallion is worn at the left chest, suspended on a 31.8mm wide ribbon with blue edging and white between with five vertical red stripes arranged equally, each of those representing 25 year intervals, thus totalling 125 years.
125th Anniversary of the Confederation of Canada Medal Intro articles: 9
- McCreery, Christopher (2012). Commemorative medals of the Queen's reign in Canada, 1952-2012. Toronto: Dundurn Press. p. 128. ISBN 9781459707566.
- Veterans Affairs Canada. "Records & Collections > Canadian Orders, Medals and Decorations > Canadian Military Medals and Decorations > Commemorative Medals > 125th Anniversary Confederation of Canada". Queen's Printer for Canada. Retrieved 23 March 2012.
- Department of National Defence. "DH&R Home > Canadian Honours Chart > Sacrifice Medal (SM)". Queen's Printer for Canada. Archived from the original on 14 November 2009. Retrieved 2 September 2009.
- Blatherwick, Francis John (2003), Canadian Orders, Decorations and Medals, Unitrade Press, ISBN 978-0-919801-10-3
- McCreery, Christopher (2015), The Canadian Honours System 2nd Edition, Dundurn Press, ISBN 978-1-4597-2415-0
- McCreery, Christopher (2012), Commemorative Medals of The Queen's Reign in Canada, Dundurn Press, ISBN 978-1-4597-0756-6