This page has two definitions of workhorse in English. Workhorse is a noun. Examples of how to use workhorse in a sentence are shown. Also define these 5 related words and terms: manual labor, draft horse, aver, consistently, and regularly.
Audio (US) (file)
workhorse (plural workhorses)
- A horse used primarily for manual labor; a draft horse
- (by extension) Anyone or anything that does a lot of work; something or someone who works consistently or regularly.
- Those old machines are not very glamorous, but even 20 years after their introduction, they are still the workhorses of the industry.
- 2018 October 15, Phil McNulty, “Spain 2-3 England”, in BBC Sport:
- Captain Harry Kane was the workhorse and creator, while Sterling and Rashford provided the finishing flourishes that put England in dreamland at the interval.