This page has 4 definitions of worker in English. Worker is a noun. Examples of how to use worker in a sentence are shown. Also define these 17 related words and terms: person, perform, labor, living, manual, nonreproductive, social insect, ant, bee, termite, wasp, female, computing, thread, instance, task, and program.
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈwɜː.kə/
- (US) IPA(key): /ˈwɝ.kɚ/
Audio (US) (file) Audio (UK) (file)
- Rhymes: -ɜː(ɹ)kə(ɹ)
worker (plural workers)
- A person who performs labor for a living, especially manual labor.
- 2014 April 21, “Subtle effects”, in The Economist, volume 411, number 8884:
- Manganism has been known about since the 19th century, when miners exposed to ores containing manganese […] began to totter, slur their speech and behave like someone inebriated. The poisoning was irreversible, and soon ended in psychosis and death. Nowadays workers are exposed to far lower doses and manganism is rare.
- 2017 February 2, Jeff Farrell, “Fukushima nuclear disaster: Lethal levels of radiation detected in leak seven years after plant meltdown in Japan”, in The Independent, London:
- Although the radiation levels identified are high, a threat to human health is very unlikely because apart from workers at the site, no-one goes there.
- A nonreproductive social insect, such as ant, bee, termite, or wasp.
- (computing) A thread performing one instance of a particular task within a program.
- This FTP client spawns a separate worker for each file to be uploaded.
- (person who performs labor): employee