This page has 9 definitions of villain in English, Finnish, and Old French. Villain is a noun and verb. Examples of how to use villain in a sentence are shown. Also define these 15 related words and terms: vile, wicked, depraved, scoundrel, hero, antagonist, poker, player, example, didactic, villein, debase, degrade, villa, and vilain.
- villan (archaic)
Probably from Middle English villein, from Old French vilein (modern French vilain), in turn from Late Latin villanus, meaning serf or peasant, someone who is bound to the soil of a Latin villa, which is to say, worked on the equivalent of a plantation in late Antiquity, in Italy or Gaul.
- (Can we clean up(+) this sense?) (The addition of quotations indicative of this usage is being sought:) A vile, wicked person.
- c. 1606, William Shakespeare, “The Tragedie of Macbeth”, in Mr. William Shakespeares Comedies, Histories, & Tragedies: Published According to the True Originall Copies (First Folio), London: […] Isaac Iaggard, and Ed[ward] Blount, published 1623, OCLC 606515358, [Act IV, scene ii], page 145, column 2:
- Thou ly’ſt thou ſhagge-ear’d Villaine.
Depraved definitionsimple past tense and past participle of
Scoundrel definitionA mean, worthless fellow; a rascal; a villain; a person without honour or virtue.
- In fiction, a character who has the role of being bad, especially antagonizing the hero.
- 1905, Baroness Emmuska Orczy, chapter 2, in The Affair at the Novelty Theatre:
- July 18 2012, Scott Tobias, AV Club The Dark Knight Rises
- As The Dark Knight Rises brings a close to Christopher Nolan’s staggeringly ambitious Batman trilogy, it’s worth remembering that director chose The Scarecrow as his first villain—not necessarily the most popular among the comic’s gallery of rogues, but the one who set the tone for entire series.
- (poker) Any opponent player, especially a hypothetical player for example and didactic purposes. Compare: hero (“the current player”).
- Let's discuss how to play if you are the chip leader (that is, if you have more chips than all the villains).
Player definitionOne that plays
- One who plays any game or sport.
- An actor in a dramatic play.
- One who plays on a musical instrument.
- A gamer; a gamester.
- A gambler.
- A mechanism that actuates a player piano or other automatic musical instrument.
- An electronic device that plays audio and/or video media, such as CD player.
- A software application that plays audio and/or video media, such as media player.
Example definitionSomething that is representative of all such things in a group. (1 of 6 example definitions)
- Archaic form of .
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Dictionary:Entry layout § Translations.
- (obsolete, transitive) To debase; to degrade.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Sir T. More to this entry?)
Degrade definitionTo lower in value or social position. (1 of 3 degrade definitions)
- Genitive plural form of villa.
villain m (oblique plural villainz, nominative singular villainz, nominative plural villain)
- Alternative form of
Vilain definitionvillain (1 of 3 vilain definitions)