This page has two definitions of subdue in English. Subdue is a verb. Also define these 3 related words and terms: overcome, quieten, and control.
- (General American) IPA(key): /səbˈdu/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /səbˈdjuː/, /səbˈdʒuː/, /sʌb-/
- Rhymes: -uː
- Hyphenation: sub‧due
- To overcome, quieten, or bring under control.
- 2011 September 2, Phil McNulty, “Bulgaria 0-3 England”, in BBC:
- Gary Cahill, a target for Arsenal and Tottenham before the transfer window closed, put England ahead early on and Rooney was on target twice before the interval as the early hostility of the Bulgarian supporters was swiftly subdued.
- To bring (a country) under control by force.
to overcome, quieten, bring under control
to bring (a country) under control by force