- 1 English
- 2 Catalan
- 3 Portuguese
- 4 Romanian
- 5 Spanish
This page has 8 definitions of similar with English translations in 5 languages. Similar is an adjective and noun. Examples of how to use similar in a sentence are shown. Also define these 39 related words and terms: trait, characteristic, common, alike, comparable, brave, mathematics, triangle, square, ellipse, arc, complex, shape, different, size, position, angle, equal, line segment, one, rotation, translation, scaling, homeopathy, symptom, disease, similar, semblant, parecido, semelhante, semejante, símil, desemejante, desigual, diferente, disímil, dispar, disparejo, and diverso.
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈsɪmələ/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈsɪməlɚ/
Audio (US) (file)
- Having traits or characteristics in common; alike, comparable.
- My new car is similar to my old one, except it has a bit more space in the back.
- 1908, W[illiam] B[lair] M[orton] Ferguson, chapter IV, in Zollenstein, New York, N.Y.: D. Appleton & Company, OCLC 731476803:
- So this was my future home, I thought! Certainly it made a brave picture. I had seen similar ones fired-in on many a Heidelberg stein. Backed by towering hills, […] a sky of palest Gobelin flecked with fat, fleecy little clouds, it in truth looked a dear little city; the city of one's dreams.
- 2013 May-June, Charles T. Ambrose, “Alzheimer’s Disease”, in American Scientist, volume 101, number 3, page 200:
- Similar studies of rats have employed four different intracranial resorbable, slow sustained release systems—surgical foam, a thermal gel depot, a microcapsule or biodegradable polymer beads.
- (mathematics) Of geometrical figures including triangles, squares, ellipses, arcs and more complex figures, having the same shape but possibly different size, rotational orientation, and position; in particular, having corresponding angles equal and corresponding line segments proportional; such that one can be had from the other using a sequence of rotations, translations and scalings.
Ellipse definitionA closed curve, the locus of a point such that the sum of the distances from that point to two other fixed points (called the foci of the ellipse) is constant; equivalently, the conic section that is the intersection of a cone with a plane that does not intersect the base of the cone.
Equal definitionThe same in all respects. (1 of 6 equal definitions)
Line Segment definitionA part of a straight line bounded by two points.
similar (plural similars)
- That which is similar to, or resembles, something else, as in quality, form, etc.
- (homeopathy) A material that produces an effect that resembles the symptoms of a particular disease.
- similar in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913.
- similar in The Century Dictionary, New York, N.Y.: The Century Co., 1911.
similar (masculine and feminine plural similars)
- similar (having traits or characteristics in common)
Parecido definitionmasculine singular past participle of parecer
Semelhante definitionhaving characteristics or traces in common; alike; like; similar.
similar (plural similares)
- Synonyms: semejante, parecido, símil (rare)
- Antonyms: desemejante, desigual, diferente, disímil, dispar, disparejo, diverso
Semejante definitionsimilar (1 of 3 semejante definitions)
Desemejante definitiondissimilar, uneven, different
Desigual definitionunequal (1 of 2 desigual definitions)
Diferente definitiondifferent (not the same)
Disparejo definitionuneven (1 of 5 disparejo definitions)