This page has 6 definitions of sausage in English. Sausage is a noun and verb. Examples of how to use sausage in a sentence are shown. Also define these 11 related words and terms: intestine, synthetic, casing, shaped, penis, endearment, military, saucisse, engineering, uniform, and cross section.
From late Middle English sausige, from Anglo-Norman saussiche (compare Norman saûciche), from Late Latin salsīcia (compare Spanish salchicha, Italian salsiccia), neuter plural of salsīcius (“seasoned with salt”), derivative of Latin salsus (“salted”), from sal (“salt”). More at salt. See also Sicilian sausizza.
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈsɒsɪd͡ʒ/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈsɔsɪd͡ʒ/
- (cot–caught merger, Canada) IPA(key): /ˈsɑsɪd͡ʒ/
Audio (US) (file)
- A food made of ground meat (or meat substitute) and seasoning, packed in a section of the animal's intestine, or in a similarly cylindrical shaped synthetic casing; a length of this food.
- A sausage-shaped thing.
- (vulgar slang) Penis.
- (informal) A term of endearment.
- my little sausage
- 2019, Paullina Simons, Inexpressible Island (End of Forever):
- “Algernon, you silly sausage. Now you want to marry me? Don't you remember we were already engaged to be married, and then I broke it off with you?”
- (military, archaic) A saucisse.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of 1881, Thomas Wilhelm, "A Military Dictionary and Gazetteer" to this entry?)
Military definitionCharacteristic of members of the armed forces. (1 of 4 military definitions)
- black pudding
- blood pudding
- blood sausage
- cocktail frank
- cocktail frankfurt
- cocktail sav
- cocktail savaloy
- cocktail wiener
- Cumberland sausage
- farmer's sausage
- garlic sausage
- hot dog sausage
- lamb sausage
- liver sausage
- Polish sausage
- Portuguese sausage
- Vienna sausage
- white pudding
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Dictionary:Entry layout § Translations.
- List of sausages at Wikipedia