This page has 10 definitions of reduction in English. Reduction is a noun. Examples of how to use reduction in a sentence are shown. Also define these 38 related words and terms: reducing, amount, rate, reduced, chemistry, reaction, electron, gain, valence, removal, oxygen, addition, hydrogen, cooking, rapidly, boiling, sauce, concentrate, mathematics, expression, transformation, music, philosophy, philosophical, procedure, consciousness, pure, phenomena, phenomenological reduction, medicine, medical, fracture, dislocation, alignment, taxis, paying, fraction, and decimal.
- IPA(key): /ɹɪˈdʌkʃən/
- (Malaysia, Singapore) IPA(key): /ɹiˈdɑk.ʃən/
- Rhymes: -ʌkʃən
- Hyphenation: re‧duc‧tion
- The act, process, or result of reducing.
- The amount or rate by which something is reduced, e.g. in price.
- A 5% reduction in robberies
Reduced definitionsimple past tense and past participle of
- (chemistry) A reaction in which electrons are gained and valence is reduced; often by the removal of oxygen or the addition of hydrogen.
Addition definitionThe act of adding anything. (1 of 6 addition definitions)
- (cooking) The process of rapidly boiling a sauce to concentrate it.
- (mathematics) The rewriting of an expression into a simpler form.
- (computability theory) a transformation of one problem into another problem, such as mapping reduction or polynomial reduction.
- (music) An arrangement for a far smaller number of parties, e.g. a keyboard solo based on a full opera.
- (philosophy, phenomenology) A philosophical procedure intended to reveal the objects of consciousness as pure phenomena. (See phenomenological reduction.)
Pure definitionFree of flaws or imperfections; unsullied. (1 of 7 pure definitions)
Phenomena definitionplural of .
Phenomenological Reduction definitionIn the phenomenology of Edmund Husserl (1859-1938) and his followers, a philosophical procedure intended to reveal the objects of consciousness as pure phenomena independently of any considerations of the existence of those objects and without the influence of inferential knowledge.
- (medicine) A medical procedure to restore a fracture or dislocation to the correct alignment.
- Synonym: taxis
- (paying) A reduced price of something by a fraction or decimal.
Fraction definitionA part of a whole, especially a comparatively small part. (1 of 6 fraction definitions)
- (act, process, or result of reducing): decline, lessening; See also Thesaurus:diminution
- (amount by which something is reduced): extract, reduction; See also Thesaurus:decrement
- (act, process, or result of reducing): elevation, expansion, increase, promotion; See also Thesaurus:augmentation
- (amount by which something is reduced): addition, supplement; See also Thesaurus:adjunct
- (chemistry): oxidation
- beta reduction
- boob reduction
- breast reduction
- carbothermal reduction
- Cook reduction
- eta reduction
- hazard reduction burn
- Karp reduction
- magnesiothermic reduction
- Meerwein-Ponndorf-Verley reduction
- phenomenological reduction
- prolongational reduction
- reduction division
- reduction drive
- reduction furnace
- reduction in force
- reduction to the absurd
- tax reduction
- Turing reduction
- vowel reduction
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Dictionary:Entry layout § Translations.