punching bag definition
This page has two definitions of punching bag in English. Punching bag is a noun. Also define these 22 related words and terms: tough, bag, cylindrical, fill, air, sand, material, suspended, swing, freely, punch, kick, practise, sports, boxing, martial arts, punchbag, speed bag, person, serve, object, and abuse.
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈpʌnt͡ʃɪŋ ˌbæɡ/
Audio (Southern England) (file)
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈpʌnt͡ʃɪŋ ˌbæɡ/, [ˈpən(t)ʃɪŋ-]
- Hyphenation: punch‧ing bag
- A tough bag, usually cylindrical, filled with air, sand, or other material, often suspended so that it swings freely, which is punched or kicked when practising sports such as boxing or martial arts.
Material definitionHaving to do with matter; consisting of matter. (1 of 3 material definitions)
Practise definitionTo repeat (an activity) as a way of improving one's skill in that activity. (1 of 8 practise definitions)
Sports definitionplural of
Martial Arts definitionplural of
- (figuratively) A person serving as an object of abuse.
- Synonym: (Britain) punchbag
- 2019 April 14, Alex McLevy, “Winter is Here on Game of Thrones’ Final Season Premiere (Newbies)”, in The A.V. Club, archived from the original on 18 December 2020:
- For so long, Theon Greyjoy was the punching bag of Game of Thrones, a sort of shitty Charlie Brown who not only failed to kick the football, but would then be beaten savagely with it every time he landed on his ass.