This page has 5 definitions of paramount in English. Paramount is an adjective and noun. Examples of how to use paramount in a sentence are shown. Also define these 27 related words and terms: high, supreme, chief, leading, pre-eminent, utmost, paravail, importance, crucial, imperative, law, right, precedence, superior, African, status, region, ruler, overlord, feudal, system, landowner, derive, ownership, land, grant, and fee.
From Anglo-Norman paramont, paramount (“paramount, pre-eminent; above”), from Old French par, per (“by”) + amont, amunt (“upward”). Par is derived from Latin per (“by means of, through”), from Proto-Indo-European *per- (“to go through; to carry forth, fare”); amont and amunt are from Latin ad montem (“to the mountain; upward”), from ad (“up to”) (ultimately from Proto-Indo-European *h₂éd (“at; to”)) + montem (the accusative singular of mōns (“mount, mountain”), ultimately from Proto-Indo-European *men- (“to stand out, tower”)).
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈpæɹəmaʊnt/
Audio (Southern England) (file)
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈpæɹəˌmaʊnt/, /ˈpɛ-/
- Hyphenation: par‧a‧mount
paramount (not comparable)
- (often postpositive) Highest, supreme; also, chief, leading, pre-eminent.
- 1963, Margery Allingham, “Eye Witness”, in The China Governess: A Mystery, London: Chatto & Windus, OCLC 483591931, page 249:
- The story struck the depressingly familiar note with which true stories ring in the tried ears of experienced policemen. […] The second note, the high alarum, not so familiar and always important since it indicates the paramount sin in Man's private calendar, took most of them by surprise although they had been well prepared.
Pre-Eminent definitionAlternative spelling of
Paravail definitionAt the bottom; lowest (said of feudal tenants)
- Of the highest importance.
- Synonyms: crucial, imperative; see also Thesaurus:important
- Antonyms: see Thesaurus:insignificant
- Getting those credit cards paid off is paramount.
- (obsolete) Of a law, right, etc.: having precedence over or superior to another.
- Synonyms: see Thesaurus:superior
paramount (plural paramounts)
- A chief or superior; (specifically, chiefly South Africa) an African chief having the highest status in a region; a paramount chief.
Region definitionAny considerable and connected part of a space or surface; specifically, a tract of land or sea of considerable but indefinite extent; a country; a district; in a broad sense, a place without special reference to location or extent but viewed as an entity for geographical, social or cultural reasons. (1 of 12 region definitions)
- (obsolete) A supreme ruler; an overlord; (specifically, historical) in the feudal system, a landowner who did not derive ownership of the land from anyone else, and who was able to grant fees to others; a lord paramount.
Feudal definitionOf, or relating to feudalism.
Grant definitionto give (permission or wish) (1 of 4 grant definitions)
- ^ “paramount, adj., n., and adv.”, in OED Online
, Oxford, Oxfordshire: Oxford University Press, December 2020; “paramount1, adj.”, in Lexico, Dictionary.com; Oxford University Press, 2019–present.
- ^ Compare “per, prep.”, in OED Online
, Oxford, Oxfordshire: Oxford University Press, December 2020; “per, prep.”, in Lexico, Dictionary.com; Oxford University Press, 2019–present.
- ^ Compare “amount, v.”, in OED Online
, Oxford, Oxfordshire: Oxford University Press, December 2020; “amount, v.”, in Lexico, Dictionary.com; Oxford University Press, 2019–present.