- 1 English
- 2 Catalan
- 3 French
This page has 11 definitions of masses in English, Catalan, Valencian, and French. Masses is a noun, verb and adjective. Examples of how to use masses in a sentence are shown. Also define these 6 related words and terms: mass, people, massa, masse, commoner, and masser.
English masses definition
- plural of
Mass definitionMatter, material.
- A quantity of matter cohering together so as to make one body, or an aggregation of particles or things which collectively make one body or quantity, usually of considerable size
- Precious metal, especially gold or silver.
- The quantity of matter which a body contains, irrespective of its bulk or volume. It is one of four fundamental properties of matter. It is measured in kilograms in the SI system of measurement.
- A medicinal substance made into a cohesive, homogeneous lump, of consistency suitable for making pills; as, blue mass.
- A palpable or visible abnormal globular structure; a tumor.
- Excess body weight, especially in the form of muscle hypertrophy.
- Synonym of
masses pl (plural only)
- (generically) People, especially a large number of people
- 2012 August 21, Jason Heller, “The Darkness: Hot Cakes (Music Review)”, in The Onion AV Club:
- Since first tossing its cartoonish, good-time cock-rock to the masses in the early ’00s, The Darkness has always fallen back on this defense: The band is a joke, but hey, it’s a good joke. With Hot Cakes—the group’s third album, and first since reforming last year—the laughter has died. In its place is the sad wheeze of the last surviving party balloon slowly, listlessly deflating.
- The total population.
- The masses will be voting this Tuesday.
- The lower classes or all but the elite.
- […] the ignorant masses […]
- (lower classes): unwashed
- Third-person singular simple present indicative form of mass
- "masses" in Raymond Williams, Keywords (revised), 1983, Fontana Press, page 192.
Catalan masses definition
- plural of
French masses definition
masses f pl (plural only)
- second-person singular present indicative of
Masser definitionA priest who celebrates Mass
- second-person singular present subjunctive of