look daggers definition
Define the meaning of the English word look daggers below. Look daggers is a verb. Also define these 0 related words and terms: .
An allusion to a look being so fierce as to be able to injure the person looked at like a dagger.
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˌlʊk ˈdæɡəz/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˌlʊk ˈdæɡɚz/
Audio (US) (file)
- Hyphenation: look dag‧gers
- (intransitive) Often followed by at: to stare in a disapproving, severe, or threatening manner, especially without speaking.
- 1835, [Washington Irving], “Abbotsford”, in Abbotsford and Newstead Abbey (The Crayon Miscellany; no. 2), Philadelphia, Pa.: [Henry Charles] Carey, [Isaac] Lea, & Blanchard, OCLC 2031450, pages 40–41:
- Before him set the grim baron, with a face worthy of the father of such a daughter, and looking daggers and rat's bane.