- 1 English
- 2 Danish
- 3 French
- 4 German
- 5 Interlingua
This page has 17 definitions of international with English translations in 5 languages. International is an adjective and noun. Examples of how to use international in a sentence are shown. Also define these 0 related words and terms: .
English international definition
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˌɪn.təˈnæʃ.(ə.)n(ə)l/, [ˌɪntəˈnæʃ(ə)n(ə)ɫ]
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˌɪn.tɚˈnæʃ.(ə.)n(ə)l/, [ˌɪntɚˈnæʃ(ə)n(ə)ɫ], [ˌɪɾ̃ɚˈnæʃ(ə)n(ə)ɫ]
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -ənəl
- Of or having to do with more than one nation.
- Of or concerning the association called the International.
- Independent of national boundaries; common to all people.
- 2013 June 7, Joseph Stiglitz, “Globalisation is about taxes too”, in The Guardian Weekly, volume 188, number 26, page 19:
- It is time the international community faced the reality: we have an unmanageable, unfair, distortionary global tax regime. It is a tax system that is pivotal in creating the increasing inequality that marks most advanced countries today – with America standing out in the forefront and the UK not far behind.
- The atmosphere is an international resource.
- the international community of scholars
- Foreign; of another nation.
- an international student
- 2014 October 27, Steve Ginsburg, Reuters "More international players than ever before, league says":
- The number of international players in the National Basketball Association has increased 10 percent from one year ago, the league said on Monday.
international (plural internationals)
- (sports) Someone who has represented their country in a particular sport.
- The United team includes five England internationals.
- (sports) A game or contest between two or more nations.
- (politics) A transnational organization of political parties of similar ideology.
Danish international definition
- international, having to do with more nations
- international, having to do with relations between two or more nations
- Synonym: mellemfolkelig
- international, foreign, having to do with another nation than your own
- Synonym: udenlandsk
|Inflection of international|
|1) When an adjective is applied predicatively to something definite, the corresponding "indefinite" form is used.|
2) The "indefinite" superlatives may not be used attributively.
French international definition
- IPA(key): /ɛ̃.tɛʁ.na.sjɔ.nal/
Audio (France, Paris) (file)
- Homophones: internationale, internationales
- Hyphenation: in‧ter‧na‧tio‧nal
- Les Nations Unies sont une organisation internationale.
- The United Nations is an international organization.
- → Romanian: internațional
- “international” in Trésor de la langue française informatisé (The Digitized Treasury of the French Language).
German international definition
international (not comparable)
- global, zwischenstaatlich
- “international” in Duden online